Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 700 Dashboard

dince

Could someone please post a pictire of the dashboard of a Simplicity 700, so I can identify what goes where.  I will need to acquire all the bits - choke and cable, throttle and cable, ammeter, starter button and key switch are what I am expecting I will need?  I don't think it originally had a stereo system, nor climate control on the air conditioning!

If anyone has spares of the bits I need, I am very interested in purchasing them, please.

• Like 1

Very useful, thank you Kent.  No choke?  My dashboard had an ammeter, and the starter and ignition switch reversed.  I'll weld up the ugly holes and start again.  It will be quite easy now it is all dismantled.  Your picture also tells me where to put the battery, exactly.  Finally, is that original, the pulleys being painted white?

Thanks again, rokon 2813!  I am astounded at how quickly folk in this club proffer help and information, especially as I have only been a member for a matter of weeks!  If I could, I would like to send you all a cuddly kangaroo for Christmas, and to help reduce our plague proportion numbers!

• Like 2

HA!

There was one hopping around south central WI a few years back that had escaped from somewhere I can't remember.  I actually know someone who saw it cross the road in front of them one evening before it was recaptured.  

That had to have been like seeing a pink elephant!

• Like 1

You Americans need to be very careful with stray kangaroos - they are very prone to crossbreed with sheep, the outcome being woolly jumpers, (sweaters?) but then, with all your snow, you would be able to wear them to keep warm!

Edited by dince

Since,I would love to see a picture of your dash. I have a 725 that has a hole in the dash that appears to have been for a amp gauge.

I know the gauge wasn't factory on 700/725 models but I'm still curious to see if yours is different than mine.

• Like 1

Jim

I am still having problems including a photo - the Forum keeps saying it is experiencing a problem with the uploaded file - 200.

Edited by dince

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/12/2016 at 6:12 PM, simplejim said:

Since,I would love to see a picture of your dash. I have a 725 that has a hole in the dash that appears to have been for a amp gauge.

I know the gauge wasn't factory on 700/725 models but I'm still curious to see if yours is different than mine.

Holes J and K - to attach throttle to
Hole A - for throttle cable to go through (just below J and K)
Hole B - the small holes on either side for attaching the starter switch to.  The large hole is the hole that the body of the starter switch protruded through, now greatly enlarged to fit an ammeter.  No ammeter on 700's, originally.
Hole F - hole adjacent steering column, created by PO for a throttle (?)
Hole C - the hole for the ignition switch, enlarged by PO for a starter switch.
Holes D, E and G - unknown, assume added by PO?  Was D a hole with a plug, to be removed for light switch?

When fitted, where did the ammeter go?

IMG_1835.JPG

Edited by dince
Added photo, hopefully!

On 23/12/2016 at 6:12 PM, simplejim said:

Holes J and K - to attach throttle to
Hole A - for throttle cable to go through (just below J and K)
Hole B - the small holes on either side for attaching the starter switch to.  The large hole is the hole that the body of the starter switch protruded through, now greatly enlarged to fit an ammeter.  No ammeter on 700's, originally.
Hole F - hole adjacent steering column, created by PO for a throttle (?)
Hole C - the hole for the ignition switch, enlarged by PO for a starter switch.
Holes D, E and G - unknown, assume added by PO?  Was D a hole with a plug, to be removed for light switch?

When fitted, where did the ammeter go?

My 700 does have the choke cable, and my starter pulley hub on the BGB is orange, but the driven transmission pulley is silver. I assume models without choke lever were choked manually by lever on carburetor?IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

Weird how the rubber on the choke lever is half painted (on accident by previous owner), but in this picture it lines up with the bottom of the dash, looking like an optical illusion!

Model: 990168

Serial: 8001

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ammeters were installed on the surface of the dash to the right of the steering wheel via insulators and brass hardware. No large hole would have been in the dash. If your 700 has a large hole, then it was most likely an add on either at a dealership or by a previous owner. I have a Squire (same as the 700) with ammeter and choke cable I'll see if I can find a photo of for you. Otherwise, you can go to my YouTube Channel where I have a wiring video on the 700 series which shows the ammeter. Cheers!! Zip...Oh, I'm ZippoVarga on YouTube. Hope this link works! Early Garden Tractor Wiring

• Like 1

Thanks, again Zippo.  I will certainly look at the video.  I have enjoyed and benefitted from viewing other ones!  Great stuff!

David

Just watched the "Wiring" video - really good! Thank you!

Edited by dince
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2017 at 9:54 AM, 1978Simplicity7016H said:

. I assume models without choke lever were choked manually by lever on carburetor?IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

All of my tractors were choked manually ...I could reach the carb choke from sitting position.

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 720nut said:

Mark I'ld have to have a wire or string , belly gets in the way 666 LOL

to many beers or maybe not enough????

Probably not enough, however, better solution, grow longer arms!

David

• Like 1