Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

  • Announcements

    • Kent

      Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

      If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

      Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

      See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    9
  • comments
    12
  • views
    3,152

Bringing an old tractor back to New, Part Two

Sign in to follow this  
Mike_H

701 views

Most of the paint is shiny now, and I've been using her mostly to mow.  The way the weather has been, that's twice a week right now!  Anyway, one night after work, I thought I should mow the grass.  Rain was coming that weekend, and I didn't want to get stuck doing it wet.

Went to the barn, hopped on the tractor, and gave it the key a turn.  The engine gave half a revolution, and then nothing.  Any other key manipulations just gave me a click.  That's when I noticed smoke coming from under the dash!  After a quick check to make sure nothing was on fire,  I left it be for the evening.  Next day, I decided to tear into the wire harness and make it "right"

20160827_112639.jpg
20160827_112645.jpg
Pulled the whole thing out.  I found three or four wires that had the insulation abraded off them.  I cut the bad sections out, and replaced it.  I also found lots of dirt and grass in the connector bodies.  Those were disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled with lots of Di-Electric Grease.  My solenoid needed replacement and the whole harness was just a mess in general.  A lot of the tape sheathing was worn, so I replaced that as well.  All in All, I spent about 5 hours on that harness.  Everything works as it should again...except the seat switch.  That bugger got bypassed!  

What else needs to be done?  Well, the running boards need a new coat of paint and the deck is definitely going to need some attention this winter.  The arbors are in good shape, but the paint is really bad.  Its starting to rust, so I'm going to strip that down, and see if I can have it powdercoated.  If not, it will get the POR-15 treatment like the last one I did.   

View the full article

Sign in to follow this  


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×