Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

  • Announcements

    • Kent

      Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

      If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

      Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

      See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    9
  • comments
    12
  • views
    3,095

Broadmoor Update...

Sign in to follow this  
Mike_H

678 views

IT FITS!!!

I haven't had much time to work on my Broadmoor project of late.  I kicked finishing the barn into High Gear, so Insulation, walls, and storage have taken priority.

Thanksgiving Day, I had a few extra minutes, so I thought I'd try to get the gas tank and engine to fit in the Broadmoor.  When I mocked it up, I didn't have the engine shrouds on.  After the shrouds were installed on the engine, there was 4 inches of space behind the engine (where the gas tank goes) and a gas tank that is about 4 and one 1/8" wide!

20161124_173803.jpg
20160619_151206.jpg

I thought about how to solve this problem for a while...and figured that since this machine is all belt drive, I can fudge the engine mounting point a bit, and still get the belts to tighten up.  I also could have moved the bulkhead/firewall back a touch, but then I would have had a lot of holes to fill in the bodywork...Not fun.  

I slotted my engine mounting holes to scooch the motor forward about a quarter of an inch.  I'm concerned about that hole in the upper right.  Looks really close to the "edge"  We'll see how a nut and washer fit up there.  I may be cutting and welding a little patch there.  

20161124_173715.jpg

With the additional clearance of the slots, the tank fits!
20161124_173828.jpg

20161124_173832.jpg

I did have a minor clearance issue with the grill though...scratched my paint!  The hood covers that up, so a quick trim will fix that right up.  
20161124_173855.jpg

I'm starting to get unburied from my Honey-Do, so hopefully this project can pick up some more steam.  I'd like to get it set up to plow this winter, to augment my snowblowing ability!

Next on the list is to fab up a battery tray, install the necessary switches and relays, and design a wire harness (since this was a pull start tractor before).  


View the full article

Sign in to follow this  


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×