Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

  • Announcements

    • Kent

      Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

      If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

      Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

      See News and Announcements forum.

Wendell Bragg

Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    2
  • comments
    17
  • views
    1,455

9020 Restore/Resurection

wwbragg

181 views

Been sitting around for 5 years and finally coming to the top of the Queue.  Saw it on craigslist and immediately called at around 8PM.  It was located about two hours away so I asked the guy if he would hold it for me.  He said no, as he had other interested parties.  I asked if I could come up that night.  He said, "You want it that badly"?  I said, "Yeah, I have been looking for one."  So he said he would hold it.  Got it the next day for $350.  It came with a 5 ft deck, front blade, rototiller and a vacuum system but no gas tank.  

When I brought it home, I got it to fire by squirting fuel into the carb.  I added a gas tank but now it won't run and the starter seems to have died.  I tried to use an impact drill to turn it over for a compression test but no.  Rather than start throwing parts at it, I decided to repower with a Predator 670 Honda clone.

PIC 2.jpg

PIC 1.jpg

PIC 3.JPG

PIC 4.JPG



8 Comments


Recommended Comments

First step is to pull the old Onan.  I will probably try to sell it so I didn't want to use the Onan dual pulley on the repower so I ran a "wanted"  ad in classifieds.  CTD01 had one at a reasonable price (thanks, Paul).

PIC 5.JPG

PIC 6.JPG

PIC 7.JPG

Share this comment


Link to comment

The next step is to build a flywheel adaptor.  Small Engine Warehouse used to use the Honda 670 in their repower kit so they used to have an adaptor.  But they have switched to the Briggs twin.  The Briggs repower kit is around $1800 plus shipping.  The Predator came up on sale for about $730 and is 25 miles away.  Oh dear.  What ever shall I do?? 

So I started measuring and came up with this:

Now, when it comes to 'beat to fit and paint to match' I have no equal.  But I lack the precision tools needed for this thing so with a 4" aluminum round I headed off to my local machine shop.  $150 later, I have an adaptor.

 

 

PIC 8.jpg

PIC 9.jpg

PIC 10.JPG

PIC 11.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
maxwood

Posted (edited)

Hello, Here is a plan, that I used to repower  a sovereign  with a predator 22 hp.  I used the rubber donut and the kohler cast iron adapter.

Your adapter looks very good  ,nice work!

 

Thanks Ken In Mi.

57e06112a22d7_predatormount001.gif.395acab185565f5660384ed1baf5a798.gif

Edited by maxwood

Share this comment


Link to comment
wwbragg

Posted (edited)

The Predator/Powermax adaptor must not only connect directly to the shaft with the fiber disk (which on the Powermax is the rear PTO) but you have to use the Onan flywheel pulley to run the main drive line.  It has to clear the engine fan so it has to be at least 2" thick and it has to be wide enough to hold the fan to the flywheel. 

The adaptor and pully assembly is pretty heavy.  That, along with the strain that will be imposed by the drive line, well frankly, I am a little worried about the extra strain on the bearing.  I guess we'll see.

Next step is to build a mounting platform to raise the Predator  3 3/4" off the frame.  My first thought was to use a couple of 4x4 (actual 3 1/2 x 3 1/2)wooden blocks with a 1/4"  steel plate on top.  But then I wouldn't get to practice with my welder.

PS:  Anybody know the correct torque on the Predator flywheel bolt? (M12 - 1.25)

 

Edited by wwbragg

Share this comment


Link to comment

Here is a shot with the adaptor and pulley mounted on the motor.  I had a hard time finding the correct torque for the flywheel bolt.  Research yielded readings from 87 ft lbs to 95 ft lbs.  The firm where I bought the bolt wouldn't tell me anything because I had die cut threads back past the original threads.  He told me that cut threads are not as strong as the original rolled threads which I did not know.  I settled on 90 ft lbs.

Now to fabricate the mounting plate which has to be 3 3/4"  off the frame.

DSCF0906.JPG

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hello, That is some great engineering. How are you going to modify the debris screen around the pulleys. when I did mine i kind of snipped way  the center , till I had clearance , but it was kind of floppy.

 

Thanks Ken in Mi

57e060dfa5973_preadtoradapter2011.JPG.4fcdcd8d72c1535b119f8ef430c8f3cf.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, maxwood said:

i kind of snipped away  the center

I'll do the same.  Just measure the pulley and snip a hole large enough to fit over it.

Share this comment


Link to comment
maxwood

Posted (edited)

 Hello, I had thought of trying to make a metal ring to reinforce the plastic & add a screen to keep the grass out .

but I never did .

 

Make sure you don't over fill the oil, or it will smoke like crazy like a fogger  the engine is sensitive to overfilling.

It does have a low oil shutdown .

 

Thanks Ken in Mi

Edited by maxwood
  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×