Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
country

Rear lift - cable or rod for AC917

country
I have an AC917, will eventually be interested in the rear lift, be it a sleeve hitch style or a custom mounted cat. 0 3pt. With either, I will need some parts I currently don't have. Of course the 917 has hydraulic lift, with a cable to the mower deck. I would then assume I would need a cable for the rear lift? Can anyone provide any info or pictures of this so I can see a little easier what I am looking for on the tractor? Thanks.

Dutch
With the swaged ends, it doesn't matter what the OEM is. Just get the diameter cable that fits the pulley you're going to use, and clamp it to the length your tractor needs. Just cut the cable a few inches long so you can loosen the clamps and adjust if necessary.

country
Well, all I have is the sleeve hitch assembly. I don't have any attachments to use to judge the cable length with. I'm getting the sleeve hitch assembly set up so that when I find some cheap attachments (hopefully someday) I'll have the hitch ready to use. Anyone have any idea how long this cable is?

RickS
To use the sleave hitch you actually need two things. The first is the sleave hitch and the second is the rear lift group. (That is pictured above) The rear lift group has a bar that is attached to the sleave hitch. This bar is what actually lifts the sleave hitch up and down. From your posts I think you understood this, but it may help others. If you don't have a sleave hitch or rear lift both items can be purchased from a dealer. But before you go that route, Dutch (I think) has a sleave hitch for sale. Check the parts for sale forum. Do a search for sleave hitch, I posted a question earlier this year and got plans to build a sleave hitch. The technical articles also list directions / plans to build a rear lift. If you purchased the sleave hitch and rear lift from the dealer the parts must be ordered separately the kit is no longer available. The rear lift is about 250 and the sleave hitch is 150, if I remember correctly. I agree with Dutch. just route the cable from the lift arm to the rear lift. If you swag the ends, the actual length does not matter you can adjust it.

country
RickS, I have the rear lift group and sleeve hitch and intermediate life rod. I have just finished fabricating these parts. I now only lack the cable, and probably the pulley. I haven't checked on the tractor to see if it is there, but I doubt it is. I can make the cable as well from the local hardware store probably significantly cheaper than purchasing it through a dealer, but need the cable length for my AC 917. I understand both of you in that I can adjust the length. I suppose I can just measure and buy an extra foot and go from there. I just wanted a close estimate to the factory length to make it easier for me. But being most cables are on the tractors, measuring them is difficult.