Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Correct front pto clutch?

srwven

Can anyone help determine if this front pto clutch kit is the correct one for me to use on my 7014S. It belongs to a fellow member who stated it does not work on his 3314H because there is not enough clearance between enginge and frame and hood to engage and because of the drive belt fit on the frame.

Provided the clutch hub will fit your crankshaft, it should work. There are two holes in the bracket for linkage adjustment. If the OEM spacer for the 3314 will not work with your 7014, make one that will work.

Thanks dutch. Upon further investigation, it seems the problem (on the 3314H)is when the clutch is engaged the belt rubs on the front of the tractor frame and there needs to be more room between the engine block and the tractor frame in order for the bracket to fully engage. Is this just because the spacer being used is too deep(long)? Does anyone know if the frame on the 3314h and 7000 series is the same? I see there was a kit sold for the 1978 and newer tractors with a briggs engine (diff't kit for Kohlers) to run the pre 1978 snowblowers off of. I don't know the difference between these and the standard pto kits, having never seen either. Does anyone know what the difference is? I am just wondering if this may be the kit for kohler's.

Steve, I just looked at my manuals and discovered something odd. The snowthrower clutch for the 3314H lists 2 different brackets for the 36" & 42" snowthrowers. However, the part number for the different brackets is the same (171807). The similar bracket for the 7014S is number 1651027. Download the manuals for the 990649 & 1690032 snowthrowers and you'll see what I mean. Do you know what the clutch pictured fit originally?

Hmm, nice catch dutch. Actually the parts manual for the 990649 lists part #171807 for the 42" and #171812 for the 36". Just by the pictures it looks like the 36" bracket is deeper and the mounting hole for the fork extends out a bit further from the engine. The bracket in the picture I posted looks like the one for the 36". This is just getting even more perplexing. I wonder if I could just drill holes in the bracket to match up with the 42" blower.

quote:
Originally posted by srwven
Actually the parts manual for the 990649 lists part #171807 for the 42" and #171812 for the 36".
That makes more sense. My manual only lists the one (171807) number. But, I can't understand why those brackets would be different for the different width snowthrowers. The hitches are the same. ???

That's exactly what I was thinking. Here is another interesting tidbit, if you look at the sovereign/landlord attachments manual, under that snowblower pto clutch, it lists a different part number for the bracket. The picture of this bracket has two mounting holes for the fork one set closer to the bracket/engine, the other set further away. I have a feeling this bracket/pto will work with some modification. I may have to have someone measure the fork mounting hole location as well as spacer and sleeve lengths. I can't imagine the kohler briggs differences being anything other than length of the engine pto shaft. I called a dealer and he lists only one clutch plate assembly.

quote:
Originally posted by srwven
I called a dealer and he lists only one clutch plate assembly.
My parts books list 2 different clutch plates. #171819, and #1663741 which is included in the #1690356 kit. I have no idea what the differences are.