Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
dav

greasing

dav
Have just looked at the operation pages for the tiller in the Simple Tractor pages. It does not mention greasing the tiller. I powerwashed what I thought was old grease caked onto the chaincase but believe most of it was dirt stuck on by a little grease. Some grease has squeezed out where the cases bolt together and just a bit at the shaft. How much is enough? 5 pumps per fitting? Or 'til is oozes out somewhere? And how often? Every use? Yearly? This will be my first tilling with a tractor. Looks to be an interesting weekend.

Kent
Unless I'm mistaken, you're supposed to grease it every 3 hours. I grease the zerks on the pulley shaft until I see grease coming out somewhere. Then I grease the zerk that greases the chain inside the housing about a half dozen pumps.

dieselman
We have a IH 2+2 and I say a pump a day keeps the wrench away. It has alot of universels and i usely give them a shot every 10 hours. I do the same with my mowers. ya dont want to much grease to come out cus it will blow your seals out doing that. but like kent said give the gear box lots of grease.