Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

greasing

dav

Have just looked at the operation pages for the tiller in the Simple Tractor pages. It does not mention greasing the tiller. I powerwashed what I thought was old grease caked onto the chaincase but believe most of it was dirt stuck on by a little grease. Some grease has squeezed out where the cases bolt together and just a bit at the shaft. How much is enough? 5 pumps per fitting? Or 'til is oozes out somewhere? And how often? Every use? Yearly? This will be my first tilling with a tractor. Looks to be an interesting weekend.

Unless I'm mistaken, you're supposed to grease it every 3 hours. I grease the zerks on the pulley shaft until I see grease coming out somewhere. Then I grease the zerk that greases the chain inside the housing about a half dozen pumps.

My manual for the tiller on my Broadmoor says to grease the zerk every 10 hours and place a few drops of light engine oil on all pivot points....

We have a IH 2+2 and I say a pump a day keeps the wrench away. It has alot of universels and i usely give them a shot every 10 hours. I do the same with my mowers. ya dont want to much grease to come out cus it will blow your seals out doing that. but like kent said give the gear box lots of grease.

My cultivator book calls for greasing every 3 hours. Make sure to wipe off the zerks first so you don't force any dirt in with the grease.