Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

blown fuse

DonNewberry

I recently replaced the engine in my b112 with a 16 horse power briggs and stratton. The new motor has an on/off switch. It blows the fuse to the coil about a third of the time when I try to start it. I've gone over the wiring diagrams and I can't find any errors in how I wired it. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Don ps Pics comming up as soon as she's all together.

Don, I'm a little confused. There shouldn't be a fuse to the coil. All there should be is a ground wire that grounds the magneto to shut down the engine. If you are putting power to the coil, it will burn out, if it hasn't already. As to the on-off switch on the engine, this should simply be left "on", or removed. Unless of course you want it as an "anti theft device" :D:D Pat

The engine has a magneto and does not stop running unless you turn it off with the switch. The wiring for the tractor has a starter circuit and a charging circuit. Both ground to the frame through a fuse. The fuse blows about a thirt of the time when starting the tractor. Hopefully, this makes sense. I followed the wiring diagram religiously since I know very little about how the system works. Don

Double check your wires to make sure there is no bare wires causing the fuse to blow. The system is about as simple as you can get. The wiring is very close on those models and it possible that one bare wire in the wiring strands is causinfg a short and blowing the fuse.

Will Do! It's all new wiring in it but I never underestimate my ability to miss something. Don

Don, I'm not sure I understand how you have it wired. My 16HP gear-start Briggs in my B-210 has the kill wire running out from under the flywheel cover to the location where the points would normally be, down below the carb. It connects there, using a little insulated connector block, to the kill wire coming from the switch. The only fuse is over on the charging circuit...

Don, the early B-110 and B-112 had a push button starter, while the later models had the solenoid or relay type starter. Here are the two different wiring diagrams. As Kent said, there is only one fuse. The top diagram is the later style, the lower diagram is the early style. Do either of these match your diagram?

Pat P.S. The ignition circuit is not shown in the lower diagram. It is a grounded switch with only one wire that runs to the points or armature ground terminal.

I am happy to post success. The problem, bad pun intended, turned out to be SIMPLE. I had loose connections on the ammeter and my starter switch. The ground wire that stops the engine is now connected to the starter switch, and now I can turn the engine off with the key. Life is better. Tomorrow I hope to get the final assembly done and post some pics. Don

• 2 weeks later...
That will teach me to say tommorrow. I've had everything from a missing dog to a leaky roof. The pics will be this summer (that should be enough of a vague time frame that I'll get it done)