Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is it?

DonNewberry

It may have been made by alice chalmers? I can't read the labels. I was cleaning out the woods and found an old lawn mower. It has a sickle bar cutter on the front of it powered by a gas motor. The wheels are about a foot in diameter with a tin cover. The gas tank is a cylinder. It looks like a big earless mouse. Anybody know who would have made this critter? Don

Don it could be one of a large number of "walking tractors" made by several companies from the early 40's to the late 50,s. Allis never made one but Simplicity was a major player in that group. There are several collectors clubs and websites for these units. Larry

Post a pic, Don. I have a book that I can check through. There was a multitude of walker manufacturers.

[url]http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/Album.asp?s=cano&u=1765555&a=1348784&i=10649827[/url] The above links to three pictures of the critter. Like I said, a giant cat's toy. I tried making a rubbing of the plate. No go! the impressions won't come through. I got a name? that ends in o or 0 and a couple of numbers along with the advice that I lubricate it after 25 hours of operation. I think I'll keep my ac instead. Don

Try this link: http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/Album.asp?s=cano&u=1765555&a=1348784&i=10649827

That is in the book. It is a circa 1948 Jari Power Scythe. No info. on engine, though. Jari Products, INC 2934-T Pillsbury Avenue Minneapolis 8, Minnesota [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/jari.JPG[/img]

I've seen Ads for Jari products, but I believe they are out of 50's and 60's magazines. Is Jari still in business, or have they been eaten by another company? Steve

For fun! The gas line on it has been cut. Other than that it looks like you could start it today. I think I should get it out of my life as soon as possible. On the other hand, I could adapt the sickle bar for my AC? Don

quote:
On the other hand, I could adapt the sickle bar for my AC?
IMO, it probably has collector value, and to destroy it would be a shame. Put it on ebay, or get it running, but try to preserve it for the sake of old iron lovers everywhere.

MY TWO CENTS: PLEASE DON'T BREAK IT UP![:0] It looks like a neat old piece, and I'm sure it has some collector value. ;):D

If it wasn't so far from New York I would be real interested in it. Don't break it up. My 2 cents

Like Art said it is a Jari. Im sorry i didn't post back sooner but we have been planting beans and was pretty busy. The engine on ours is a brigs. They aint worth much arround here we got ours for arround $5 but I wouldn't cut it up there pretty fun to play with and work reall good for mowing weeds.

• 1 month later...
I found one. Supposed to be 100% original. The code on the 3 hp briggs says its a 1966. The engine is seized but they said it was driven to its current resting place 3 years ago. Since its the same vintage as me, think I'll keep it. Besides; it was free.