Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

opinions on 97 sunstar 20 hp kohler

quantico

I am a very heavy guy and just went thru knee surgery so It is time to buy a tractor. I have a 50 by 250 foot yard and some hill to deal with , but not huge. I am too big to fit on the new box strore 1200 dollar tractors.... and therefore I am looking at a new conquest or getting a used larger deere or simplicity tractor. I found one that I have not seen yet that has 440 hours on it ... supposedly the origional owner. He is asking around 4000 dollars..... but maybe would bite at 3500 dollars for the tractor and deck ( 60 inch I think) . Is this a well made tractor and a good investment ??? Is the price good if the unit is in good condition. What should I look for for signs of good maintainance or abuse ??? I know to check for oil leaks or unusual engine ticks or noises but have never owned a tractor before... What do you guys think as far as trouble prone or reliable ??? or good value for the dollar ???

I forgot to mention he has a single stage snow blower that he would sell seperately.... what would that be worth ??? or would I be better off just buying a new 8 hp 24 inch snowblower ???

That is a good engine, in a good tractor. 440 hours is pretty low for a well made machine, like this. If you get it change the oil and check the belts and it should be good to go. And, it should take you about a minute and a half to do your yard with it.

If the 440 hours is accurate, and it has been stored indoors, that sounds like a very fair price. The Sunstar is a very large heavy-duty machine for a garden tractor. It replaced the PowrMax and was replaced by the Legacy. Here's more info on the equivalent, slightly older Deutz-Allis Utima: http://www.simpletractors.com/deutz/1920_%26_1918.htm That size of a machine would make mowing your lawn a 10 minute job, if you can maneuver it well enough. Similarly, the large snowblower could clear much larger areas quickly. Both may be a bit of "overkill" but would certainly work well...

Anyone may correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Sunstar has a tighter turning radius(at the inside edge of the deck) than the 700 series & I know it is tighter than the 900 series. The other nice feature is the independent wheel brakes which can reduce it even more. The blower on the tractor is a good idea in my opinion because that is only one engine you have to keep in good working order. The walk behind blower would just set all summer and would need gas drained or fuel additive every spring. I would guess the blower to be worth $200-$600. I paid $700 for a 2 stage 46" in like new condition with a set of used chains about 3 years ago. If memory serves me correctly a new single stage was about $1600 & the 2 stage was about $2200 at that time.

I seen a sunstar at weavers equipment in Shelby Ohio in Good Shape. Garage Kept. I believe he only wanted 2800. Might save yourself a Grand. He is listed in the Dealers section here on simpletractors. Doc

Hello I have a 97 sunstar with a 60" deck. I use it to cut 3 acres. Also, I have had not major problems. Depending on how high my grass is I can cut the 3 acres in 2 hours.

I have a 94 Sunstar with the 60" deck. I am not sure about prices when finding them used due to the scaricity. However, I know I wouldn't take $3500 for mine so it sounds like a fair deal to me. The Sunstar is a very smooth operating and quiet tractor. It also has a 2-speed rearend and locking differential (as long as it is one of the 18 or 20 hp models). Good luck.

I got a '94 this winter, the price was real right, $425.00. But it was 'rode hard and put down wet' so to speek, plus an extra 48 in mower deck. Anyways hourmeter has 1450 hours on it, and other then a little pesky oil leak I'm chasing down everything is really better then I expected for that price. If you lift the hood and obeserve where the engine sits and it doesn't look wet, there's an indication there are no oil leaks. Look for grease zerks to see if they are not really caked with dirt. A little bit of grease showing indicates that some attention in that area. Check the power steering when running and observe to make sure spindles aren't real wobbly. When you flip the switch to engage the mower, it should be rather crisp and quick. A mower with those hours that described should be fine, but you asked and I tossed out my 2 cents worth. Ask the owner if you can mow some of his grass to see if it fits you.