Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How to get rid of gas smell?

johnmonkey

I am working on the carb/fuel pump on my AC 710 and getting gas on my hands. I was wondering what you guys use to get rid of the gas smell on your hands? I have been using gojo with pumice (orange flavor) rinsed with warm water and then scrubbing with lava soap and a hand brush rinsed with warm water and the gas smell is still there!!! Does anyone have a suggestion??? Thanks John H:(:(

I have used lemon juice after the soap to kill the smell. Someone told me to rub your hands around on the stainless steel sink while you wash your hands.

I bought some stuff called "Invisible Glove". You put it on before you get greasy. It doesn't stop your hands from getting dirty, but it does make it alot easier to clean up. (Especially after oil changes.) Steve

Skintight surgical type gloves are also available in most auto supply stores - just throw them away after use.

I like the liquid dish washing soap. It is made to cut grease and oil. It seems to clean up my hands with just a little help from a good finger nail brush, used all over the hands to get the grime out of the pores. Dan

MY TWO CENTS:I have used Lestoil for years- great for removing grease and grime and gas smell. It does have it's own odor though, you may want to wash with hand soap after....

I think the best thing for getting my hands clean is baby wipes. Plus it leaves your hands as soft as a babies .... well you know what I mean. If my hands are really dirty, I'll clean them with fast orance or gojo and then wipe them with a baby wipe.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
I use a bic, little rough on the hide, but hey, it grows back...MPH
:D... I think I won't try that one Marty!

90 weight gear oil will replace nearly any smell that your hands can pick up. once they are well saturated. wipe off excess in a paper towel use soap and water to wash away the oil. a more radical approach after the 90 weight cleanser a hand dip and agitation of laquer thinner (the 8th wonder of the world) will take off the 90 weight smell, and any tatoos that were put on by ink pens. cuts of any size will be immeadiatly noticed and agrivated. Use of a bic during or nearby this action may result very serious injurys. The wifes hand lotion finishes the job.

Vanilla extract works well to get rid of gas smell after washing. Learned this from my late grandfather.