Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine is shot, now I need a new engine

Nick

Well, The engine is shot in the B-110. Barely any compression, also had a blown head gasket. No wonder why there was a 1/2 thick layer of sludge and dirt were underneath the engine. Well, guess it will have to sit till I get a new engine. I was looking at smallenginewarehouse.com, Kind of confused of what kind of engine to replace it with. anyone have any recommendations? I'll also settle for a used one if it is a good engine.

A blown head gasket does not really mean a blown engine. It could have been loose head bolts. Evaluate what you are faced with before jumping out to buy a new engine.

The blown head gasket alone will cause poor compression, hard starting, and even a popping that sounds like a knock when running. I would just replace the head gasket, (only about $5), and go from there. I have seen many people give up on a piece of equipment due to a blown head gasket. The symptoms give the impression of a much more serious problem. Pat

quote:
Originally posted by PatRarick
The blown head gasket alone will cause poor compression, hard starting, and even a popping that sounds like a knock when running. I would just replace the head gasket, (only about $5), and go from there. I have seen many people give up on a piece of equipment due to a blown head gasket. The symptoms give the impression of a much more serious problem. Pat
No matter which way you spin the shaft, there is no compression. If I remember correctly, someone looked at it said the 1 of the valves were bad.

If you have a bad head gasket you will have poor compression in either direction compression is not dependant on direction of rotation although it helps to rotate it in the proper direction. A stuck valve is a horse of different color though but it too can be repaired. Just so you are aware the cast iron briggs was discontinued some time ago and are no longer availible new. Good luck!

Nick, I agree with the other guys, you should rebuild it. If the head gasket isn't the problem, you're only out 5 bucks or so , but if it is... look at the money you just saved. Also, this would be a great learning experience for you. The engine in my b10 was every bit as bad as what you are describing and much worse. The knowledge that I gained from doing it myself and the satisfaction I received when I started it up for the first time, you just can't get any other way. The best thing is to purcase a B/S repair manual, or borrow one , (as I did), from the Library, take it slow, and if you run into problems, submit a post to this website. I'm positve some one here can help you out. Good luck, Dave

I had an engine that I picked up from a guy on Ebay that had bad compression and a broken oil pan. Found out that it only had a stuck valve. Since picking it up I have only replaced the oil pan and used a little liquid wrench on the valves and piston. This engine is now in my '64 Landlord and running better that any other engine I've had. Not to mention that this engine had sat for about 10 years (but had the gas drained before storing) and it had previously ran a grain elevator with no air filter. I would also try a new head gasket and clean out the oil pan for sure before giving up on your engine.

yes sometimes it is the little thing that can cause big problems .just bought a rear engine snapper for song with a new 8 horse briggs . the wire that run to to switch was bad I .am pretty sure they replaced the engine because the wire was bad an that still din,t fix it latter Pops

Hello Nick,how do you feel about taking your engine apart and laying things out in a semi "organised" way and evaluating the situation? There is nothing in that motor that can't be made right short of a major defect in the block.If you spend more than 200 getting it right even with machine work you are better off finding another engine.Pick up a wrench and start cranking,lay stuff out in the order you took it apart,and take some pictures.You might be suprised how easy the fix could be.Elmer

You will not find another engine like that one. You can even bore and sleeve that engine and even with a complete rebuild it will be a lot cheaper than you will replace it with a new one that isn't half the engine you have in that tractor. Good Luck Doc

I got the exhaust valve unstuck. I can tell someone had the engine apart before, it also appears that the exhaust valve was replaced at sometime in the past. The compression is better, So II guess I'll keep this engine. I noticed I need to get a new magneto. A mouse had chewed the wiring, and the metal is pulling apart. I also plan to replace the points & condenser with an electronic ignition. Between to cost of new points and condenser, and for easier starting it would be better.