Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

finally... some pics of the geo transplant

a7117puller

engine is mounted in, need to get new driveshaft made, and rest of motor stuff on and connected, then the rest of the fun begins....:D

Adam, with the engine installed that way, isn't the engine going to run backwards for the tractor? Am I wrong in assuming that this engine will run counter-clockwise as viewed from the flywheel end? Pat

If you go to the gallery and look at the Subaru powered Sovereign, it appears that the engine is transversely mounted. I really cant tell from the picture. Looks like the radiator is going to keep your backside pretty warm. With no fan are you going to have a over-heating problem?

Pat your're correct. Standard industry clockwise rotation is viewed from the front or side opposite the flywheel. In air cooled industrial engines, the shaft being keyed, tapered, splined or whatever is considered the flywheel end.

Looks pretty sweet. I think I saw a similiar one fly bye, over the moon at the local movie theatre. Might want to try adding wings from a learjet. ===nice project, have fun.

Put some a/c in that and a cup holder, and you have a pretty nice ride to work every day. Seriously.. nice project. I have plans to do a similar engine swap. Do you have plans to modify the transmission or keep it stock. Dave

thanks yall, dont know about the rotation, it will be liquid cooled, radiator with electric fan mounted in front,i did see the subaru swap pics, car tires/rims are reversed dodge minivan wheels, patterns same...and no, no wings yet but thanks for the idea:D ...maybe add them later, lol

Well if you don't mind running 50 MPH in reverse, forget what Pat and I have trying to relay. (grin)

all stock, plan to keep it stock, and run stock class in proper weigh classes, got it stripped down for the project, but will put stuff back on later once running, :Dmow the grass at 6500rpm if anything, just hope that that pto box can take it. and it is a hydro, so as long as the pump is moving, fluid being supplied, should still work right. and the rear tires i have on there are just for moving it around for now..ill have to pick up some pullin rims...anyone know where i can get a good deal on some?12x12 size with correct backspacing...yuck, no cub stuff or "green" stuff please.YUCK

You just have to remember that Simplicity designed the tractor with the OEM engine mounted backwards. What Pat and Bob are saying is, if your engine isn't turning in the same direction as OEM, you may have problems. If the BGB box pulley is turning the wrong way, the hydro fan won't cool. Are you sure the hydro will pump in either direction? Seems to me, if nothing else, the pressure side may try suck while the suction side may try to pump. How about the hydro check valves, won't they work opposite than designed? How about the mower blades, won't they be turning in the wrong direction, cutting with the dull side, and trying to discharge to the right instead of the left?

If your concerned about rotation being the wrong direction.Pull the engine up and turn it from end to end.

You can run the hydros backwards if you take the two bolts out of the little charge pump, turn it 180 degrees so it is upside down, and reistall the bolts. Then, learn how to go forwards in reverse, and backwards in forward! I did!:D

I thought of that also but the concern I had was running the BGB backwards.The gears are machined such that I don't know if they will hold up long if used heavily.You can always try it and see what happens. I found that's the about the best way to learn,good or bad.:D

That looks great. It will be neat to see when dun. Keep us posted on what ya do about your drive. When I swapted my 920 engine I used a 912 drive shaft and custom built a drive out of 2 1/2" solid cold rold steal. that might work better than building a shaft. just a thought. good job though.

I have a gear box that would work in that unit and I know that it will handle the power with no problem.I plan to be at Rhinelander and I could bring it along.Let me know .Bob

• 1 month later...
Try taking the BGB off and rotating it 180 degrees so that the PTO shaft is on the right side and is powering the drive pulley. I think this will make everything turn in the correct direction. The BGB is similar to a car differential in the way the input drives the output. When using a motorcycle engine on a pulling tractor with a car rearend, the rear must be flipped or in other words run upside down to make the wheels turn in the correct direction..

You may want to contact these people. Ask for a PTO reverser. They also have heavy duty bevel gear boxes etc. [url]http://www.hubcityinc.com/products.html[/url]

I am really curious about how you will get this rig running. For a front mount radiator you will have to make some kind of mounting bracket, it looks like the radiator will have to be mounted fairly high up to get clearance for the electric fan. It also looks like it will require major modifications to the cowl to have positioning for the battery and fuel tank, I would think that you may have to use a B series cowl, which would mean a B series fuel tank. I doubt that you will get fuel flow by gravity so you will need an electric fuel pump that will have to be mounted somewhere. Probably a very small lawn tractor battery is the only one that would fit. I would think that the drive line problems are solvable, but will the hydro stand up to 50 hp if you try to pull out stumps??? To mount the hood you will have to make some brackets to move it forward for sure and probably up to clear the radiator. Then you would have to modify the cowl. Wow, I really want to see how you solve all those problems!!!

Hi, If the engine turns the wrong way, the bevel gears are a hypoid type and I don't think they will last very long. Also you will need to move the idler from the bottom of the hydro drive belt or the pull side will be the side the tightener pulley is on and as soon as a load is applied the belt will loosen and slip. My thoughts and they are free, value accordingly. Good luck, Al Eden

ok, updates....changed the rear-end to a shuttle drive, and the driveshaft is made now, yeehaw, and yes, electric fuel pump will be added soon, radiator will be mounted to the hood, electric cooling fan, and probably battery mounted in front of the tractor, lil reserve cooling tank too...bout all can think of right now.

I have a similar project (long term) underway, involving a AC 712 and a 1.8 liter Subaru motor. Both were free. The 712 is a shuttle, and I would really like to drive off the flywheel end, but I am a little concerned about the durability of the BGB being driven backwards. I am also giving serious consideration to stretching the frame 8 - 10 inches. That would give me room for a front mount radiator, make things a lot easier, and still be shorter than a 720. Yes, I did try to e-mail the guy that owns the Simple Sue tractor, but it was bounced back. So, I am curious as to why you did not stretch the frame, and do you think there will be any problems with the BGB rotating backwards? I know that Al thinks it could be a problem. Steve