Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan Smoking

docs

Will running 20-50 oil in an onan engine hurt it? It's smokes less and runs kooler with this oil. Thanks DOc

maybe running a strat weight will help more. I dont like multy grade oils i think they get thin to easy.

I Tried sae 30w and makes it smoke. I know it will need rings, one cylinder is smoking but with the 20w-50w it hardly smokes at all. Just wondering if anyone else has expieranced this same effect or is using the 20-50 and having good luck with it. You think running a 40w or 50w would be better? The thing about the 20-50 is that the hotter it gets the thicker the oil gets right? Doc

Docs you are right the oil changes it's viscosity as the temperature changes. A straight 30w or 50w becomes thinner as the temperature increases. In your case you do not want this. I run a 15-40 weight in my diesel truck and this is recommended by the manufacturer as diesels run very hot internally and the engine needs this 40w when hot, when cold like -10 to -20 F the engine needs 15w or it will not turn over fast enough to start. Honda uses multigrade in their garden tillers, I have one and it's a 5 horse engine. I use a straight 30w in my PowerMax in the summer, if I used it year round I would have to change to a multigrade or I would not be able to start it in the winter. In my part of the continent using straight grades is getting rare. :) 8D