Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

eBay K321

IronPony

I am bidding on a K321QS that I think will fit my AC712. It is item number 2323048793 on eBay. Does anyone think it will NOT fit? Any comments would be appreciated. Dan

Dan, I’m not an engine expert, so I can only comment on what I see. From it’s exterior appearance, the engine looks very clean. According to the serial number (958099), it was made in 1979. The spec number (K321OS) indicates it is indeed a 14hp. The “S” signifies an electric start. The “O” is a mystery to me. Perhaps the "O" is actually a "Q" for Quiet Model. The muffler outlet is opposite from that used on your tractor. That should not present a problem since you can use your muffler, or buy the proper one. The air cleaner is larger than the OEM. It should work as is, but if it presents a clearance problem with the hood, it too can be easily swapped with OEM. The shroud may have an extra hole for air cleaner, but it too can be swapped or a patch cover made. The front PTO is 1.125”. I believe the OEM was 1”. That won’t matter unless you want to install a front clutch. Even then, 1.125” clutches are available. My concern would be, will your driveshaft and screen swap without any problems. Maybe others will know. Another concern would be shipping (carrier and cost). It may be too heavy for UPS, I don't know. Here’s a link to make it easier for others to look and offer comments. > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2323048793 [img]http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_2b54e54119087a326a95f6f8ef77214f/i-1.JPG[/img]

I just shipped a K341 to Iowa from Indiana via UPS. 120lbs. Meant to send it Fed-Ex for $67 but the wife was going into town anyway that day and took it to Mail Boxes Etc. It cost $85 to ship. I only got $75 plus $67 shipping from the buyer. OUCH. Turns out the buyer said the only thing wrong with it was a blown head gasket and it now runs fine. Arrrggh! I shoulda kept it but didn't want to fool with it since the previous Owner told me "something came apart inside so I bought a new engine". Brent

The saving grace is I am about $200 up on the parts tractor I bought with this engine even with the shipping snafu plus I still have the 42" snow thrower and front clutch that came with it. Not bad for a $100 investment. Still kicking myself for not keeping the engine around until I had time to tear into into. I figure I gave away at least $300, probably more on that deal. Brent

I am really concerned about the oil pan bolt pattern. Will it just bolt to my tractor? Also, my current engine has a 1" crank shaft and this one is 1 1/4" shaft. Will this be a problem with attaching the drive shaft? Thanks for the encouragement so far and all the thoughts. Dan

Dan, the e-bay ad was amended to show that the crankshaft is 1 1/8". It has nothing to do with attaching the driveshaft, only the front PTO. As dutch said, 1 1/8" PTOs are available. If you have a 1" front PTO, you can have it machined to 1 1/8" for a minimum cost. The flywheel screen and driveshaft adapter from your old engine will fit this engine. The bolt pattern is the same as your current engine. It will bolt right in, though you might need to swap out some components as also stated in dutch's reply. Pat

Thanks Dutch, Brent and Pat. Now I think I can do some serious bidding. Hope the reserve is not to highxx(. Dan