Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Suggestion-Looking for Agreement

mongson

Until recently, I have felt welcome and at peace here in AC/Simplicity land. It seems that since I purchased my Regent(Lawn Tractor), many of my posts have been ignored. Anyone else get this feeling? I am fully aware that this site/board is devoted to Simplicity / Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors, however, a garden tractor with a cutting deck is still, for all intents and purposes, no different than a Lawn Tractor with a snow/dozer blade. It is to this end, that I suggest that a new area be established on this message board to include Lawn Tractor users as well as Garden Tractor users. I am sure that I am not the only Lawn Tractor owner who has experienced this. Perhaps there, those of us with out Garden Tractors could respond to each other and discuss issues relating solely to Lawn Tractors. Of course I could be told to go fly a kite and make my own site if I thought that Lawn Tractors needed their own space, however, I believe that we all could benefit from a sharing of information regardless of type. It would be kind of silly to have a simpletractorsjr.com site out there where owners of Lawn Tractors could exist. Just a thought. CM.

Chris - don't be dissappointed or discouraged. The plain fact is that many (or even most) of the members deal with large-frame tractors (the "bevel gear" type). They dont have our type of tractors (I run the old Broadmoors) and just don't have anything to add about our vertical engine tractors. So keep asking your questions, but also keep in mind that others may not know, and you may have to go digging into the SimpleTractors web pages and the manuals that you can download from the Simplicity web site. And HAVE FUN! Tom

Chris, I think what you're experiencing is that very few of our members have new tractors. Then, of those with newer tractors, and have the same/similar tractor as you, how many have enough experience fixing them to answer specific questions.... I don't think its people ignoring you or anything like that. As an example, until I recently bought a early-80s 4108, my newest tractor is a 1969 model... So, I have NO experience or knowledge of a new Regent....

Chris, Looking at the topics that you initiated in the Talking Tractors forum, it would seem you have received more replies than average. > http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=4060 I'm not saying you do, but some people will add a question to a topic someone else started. Often those questions get missed. As stated above, maybe people just don't know the answers to some questions. I know when I read a question specific to a B-series, PowrMax, or vertical shaft tractor, I don't offer bad advice, or a guess. I wait for someone who knows what they're about to answer. Do you have any specific Regent questions at this time?

Or some people may be like me, new to this with not much to add but LOTS to gain. If I could help you out, I would, but like Dutch said, if I don't know, I'll let someone else post that does. I almost feel guilty that I can't contribute as much as some members. Right now, most of my interest is on my particular tractor. But most of the posts I read, I learn something. But where is the line drawn between Lawn and Garden tractors? Is it bevel gearbox or not? Is it horizontal or vertical shaft? I'll learn eventually!

:I:I:IAww Shucks. You guys are swell. Now I want to go out and get an oldie but goodie even more. That was what my original plan was when I bought the Regent. They had 3 older simplicities with all sorts of features. The main thing that I wanted was something that could handle "Ground Engaging" attachments. I guess I will save my pennies and get one of those large frames and then add an engine seat and all the other parts. Now I just have to convince my wife that 2 tractors are better than one. Thanks again.

Good luck on learning the distinction between the lawn and garden tractors. The "classical" definiton is that garden tractors can take ground-engaging implements such as moldboard plows, but lawn tractors cannot. The Landlords, Barons, Sovereigns and PowrMax were considered garden tractors, while the Broadmoors, Regent, Yeoman and Serf were considered lawn tractors. A garden tractor doesn't require a bevel gearbox -- since none of the new Simplicity garden tractors (Conquest, Prestige or Legacy) have one, nor does it require a horizontal craftshaft engine. The 1995-2001 Landlord did not have a BGB nor horizontal shaft engine, yet was still considered a garden tractor.

So where does my B-208 fall? And what is the Simplicity "equivalent" of it? There's so much on this site, most of the time I'm not sure where to look. Thanks for keeping us informed!

The B-208 is similar, though not directly equivalent to a Broadmoor, and is considered a lawn tractor. You could use a tiller with it, but I don't think you could use an actual moldboard plow.

I, for one have only the older style tractors. My "newest" is a 1978 AC 710. The rest are in the early 70's all the way back to 1960. As Kent mentioned, I have no clue about the newer tractors (garden or lawn) and I am slightly clueless when it comes to the older ones. That is why I like this site. I used information that I recieved today and ordered parts for a big ten that I am working on (for a friend) and hopefully we will have another operational AC in Maryland. Take care John H

If the subject catches my interest I'll read the post. I'm new here and still swelling my head with knowledge from this site. If I don’t know anything about the question I don’t post anything. I don’t know enough yet to help anybody out being I’m still in the learning process on these great tractors! It’s interesting to see how many people read the posts and won’t post anything. You can see how many times your post was read. Better to get the right answers than wrong advice. My advice is read the other posts to see what problems other people have and the advice they are given. Some of the knowledgeable people on here maybe can’t get to the site every day and so your questions can’t be answered right away. If you get too impatient you can bump your post to the top of posts again? My .02 worth.

Chris Don't stop asking questions-It's the only way anyone came learn.:) Your Regent and my Broadmoor or Yoeman Can't plow a garden. With a little common sense you will be surprize what your Regent can do.I use my Yoeman to cultivate,push snow,aerate, and spread fertilizer. I am hoping one day to find a tiller for my Yoeman. I'm working 2 jobs and don't have much free time.

Chris I guess I am one of the lucky ones. My stable includes: 1963 A/C B-10, 1967 Simplicity 3012V, and 1991 Simplicity 17GTH-L, along with various parts/project tractors and a U-haul load of implements. By horse-trading and smart shopping I have maybe $1800 invested in the lot. I have learned to dig deep in the archives and adapt info from other tractors to rebuild and maintain my fleet. Stick with it and be open-minded my friend and you will be fine. Larry