Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
richp

axle tube

richp
Has anyone ever tried re-enforcing the axle tubes on the older tractors by welding gussets the length of the tube.I run my 64 landlord diff. locked ( or close to it) with bar tread tires for A few years now and am wondering if axle tube failure can be prevented. Just A thought. Richp.

DoubleT
Hi rich, anythings possible but I just don't see how it could be done. On my one tractor the tube broke off from the inside of the trans cover outward toward the diff. taking a few good size chunks from the cover with it. I personally think that to much is being said about how "weak" the axle tubes are and I feel people are starting to become overly concerned. Yes I beleive that the tube has a weak area but every tractor design has one or more that after prolonged use arise. I don't really think that the tube is all that weak untill many years of use and or abuse. I know this is a poor example but in most cases that I have seen the axle tubes have out lasted the engines,mower decks,transmissions and other major parts. Lets face it any engine is subject to failure more often either from lack of matenice or abuse and it sure cost alot more to replace or rebuild then a simple axle tube to which can be replaced and installed for around $270 depending on the area that you live- and I know this still is alot of money. As was mentioned in a earier message dlc listed most or all of the reasons that can cause the axle tubes weak area, such as the diff. being on the same side as alot of the keyways that hold the diff. inplace, the hub assembly and even more. In my opinion its a good design but after time not only do axle tubes fail but we as humans also. This is not meant to be a commentary just a answer from a person that more then not gets carried away with the keys on his keyboard. Again just my simple opinion- Best to all>>->happyjack<-<<

dlcentral
I wouldn't weld anything onto the axle as this is a hardened piece and welding to it will only make it weaker.I had an idea to make a device that would clamp around the axle,removing the grease fitting and going from the snap ring on the diff. to just short of the trans case.It would be a 2 piece affair of thick steel or aluminum held on by 3 or 4 allen screws so it CAN be removed to lube the inner axle.Or I could just put an extented grease fitting through the clamp device which would keep the clamp from 'walking around'.Gotta talk to my machinist about building that! dlc

dlcentral
Hi, I agree with Jack, I think this axle thing gets overblown. I have broken some of these in the past. The newer series tractors are stronger. I beat the HELL out of my tractors a LOT before they failed. The failures come out of the keyways. When the keys get some slack in them the pressures come at the surface of the key due to it slightly rolling in the keyway. Any time you have a sharp corner such as a keyway you have an invitation to a stress crack. These cracks usually start at the Bull gear keyway and then run from the keyway out through the bearing and then just beyond the bearing start radially arount the axle. Usually the axle tube will be broken at a about a 45 degree angle in the bearing and will often break the right case at the bearing. The other common fail comes out of the differential key and runs into the snap ring groove where it usually makes a clean round break. Most of the breaks have came on tractors that have been slammed forward to reverse as mine were. They seem to be able to take a lot of punishment if they don't get this slamming in the keyways. Keeping good tight keys in will probably have as much efect as anything. One of my tractors had dual 6-12 ag tires and 100 lb lead wheel weights in each side. We were mowing a hilly 26 acre cemetary and we ran it as hard as it would go and full forward to full reverse, the other had 26-12.00-12 Goodyear Ag Terra Tires filled with fluid, same treatment. Both of thes units would go about 2 yrs before breaking a tube, and we tested them. My 2 cents worth and its free so take for what its worth. Al

dlcentral
I would do whatever I could to save a cracked axle,even a 'rube goldberg' fix like I previously mentioned.I have to pay list price for my parts[not complaining/it's just the facts!] and I would rather not have to do a job such as that if I could prevent it. Just my 1/2 cents worth! dlc

tej
I bought my AC B12 used in 1973 and have been using and abusing it ever since. I run 23x10.5x12 tires with weights for mowing and bar tires with chains and weights for dozing and snowblowing. It has never broken an axle tube but it is also a 3 speed so not subjected to rapid direction changes. The one thing that I think will destroy a tractor, at least in this PA rocky soil, is a tiller attachment. I used my tiller last spring and it shock alot of parts loose including putting an 1/8 inch side play in one of the axle tubes. The side play does concern me but I don't know if it will cause a problem or not. I don't think I will use the tiller again. Tim