Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MF 12?

bigcountry

I have a line on a MF 12, I don't know if it was made by Simp./AC or not. Can y'all give me a little info on that model? I appreciate it.

Max I can't remember who made those Massey's but I know they are good tractors. they have the capability to do real work with several implements. They have a Tecumseh if I remember right but they were the well made engines. Several folks collect them and pullers like them too! You might check out some of the Yahoo clubs, seems I've seen some info over there. Larry

Hi, My dad has a lot of massey that he collects I think they where made by massey.they do have tecumseh on them. They r a tough tractor.If you can get it a a good price get it .Thanks Tony

The older Masseys was made by AMF(they had the same tractor but it was blue).Yes they use Tecumseh motors on them.Very tough tractors but in my area the implements was hard to come by cheap.I restored one last year but have since sold it.If you have any specific questions you can PM me or send an email.Yes there is 2 groups on yahoo for the Massey lawn and garden tractors.

Here's a link to one of the groups mowerman referred to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/masseyfergusongardentractors/ Mowerman... you sold the MF12? You did a good job on it!

Billy Jack, Yes I sold it and I kick myself in the rear every time I think about it.I got a good chunk of change out of it though.One of the Yahoo group members from Canada bought it.I never really got it completed but was very close to being done. Here is a link to my web site that has some picture of it on. [url]http://www.geocities.com/mowerman1193/index.html[/url] BTW if I would have kept it I would not have my 2 1964 Landlords though...so it was a good deal for me LOL.

It is my understanding that the MF 12, 14 and 16 were made by AMF, the smaller models were made by Badger Northland which was owned by Massey. This may not be totally acurate but what is certain is that all Simplicity built Masseys carry a 2000 series designation and were produced after 1993. Snapper and Ingersoll also produced some Massey garden tractors.

quote:
Originally posted by Les
...Snapper and Ingersoll also produced some Massey garden tractors.
Les you are correct. See my handle, snapper1650. My Snapper 1650a is a the same as a Massey 1650a. It is my understanding that Snapper bought the GT line from Massey in the '80's and built them exactly as Massey had. I believe 1400 thru 1850 series Masseys and Snapper's are the same. My manuals are from Snapper, but I have bought parts from both Massey and Snapper with no problems (with what is still available). bigcountry, this line of tractors is not to be confused with the MF12, 14, 16 line.

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
Billy Jack, Yes I sold it and I kick myself in the rear every time I think about it.I got a good chunk of change out of it though.One of the Yahoo group members from Canada bought it.I never really got it completed but was very close to being done. Here is a link to my web site that has some picture of it on. [url]http://www.geocities.com/mowerman1193/index.html[/url] BTW if I would have kept it I would not have my 2 1964 Landlords though...so it was a good deal for me LOL.
Oh well, as long as it all worked out...LOL Can't help but be good to get two Landlords out of the deal!

The MF12 came in both a hydro and a gear (MF12G) model. The MF12G is basically the same as the slightly older MF10, which came with a 10 hp instead of 12 hp Tecumseh HH cast iron engine. I have both an MF10 and an MF12 hydro, with a tiller, sickle bar and belly mowers. Tough little tractors, and I use them almost daily. Parts for the tecumseh HH series engines are still available, but not cheap. However, you can put different horizontal engines in pretty easily. The only major concern is whether or not it will fit under the tin of the tractor (the HH engines were quite narrow, so a Kohler K series for example would require some tin cutting to fit in). I have a Briggs 10 hp L-head in the MF10 and a Tecumseh OH120 in the MF12, and both were basically just bolt in and go swaps.

My uncle had a Massy 12 and 8. The 8 he bought for next to nothing and it had been repowerd with a Honda engine. They are tough tractors.

I currently have 3 MF12H 71,73,74 year built and all hydros and all running 2 with 42" decks and one with a tiller,also a 76 MF8H with a deck and snowblower. My dad worked at the local plant in Algoma,Wis. and they made 7,8,10,12 gear drive units until late 60's. They are built as tough as the 2 Simplicity's that I also own, hey this hobby can get kind of addicting. Enjoy whatever tractor you have and pass on the hobby to a willing particpant