Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

deck repair

lumpy

checked out the deck last night on the tractor and found that I had a broken pulley tensioner spring. Also checked the hubs. there is about an 1/8-1/4 inch play in the bearings is this normal? Lumpy

What model deck? Just replace the broken spring. Slight up-down play may be acceptable. 1/4" seems like too much. There should be virtually no side-to-side play.

The play in the bearings sounds like too much. I rebuilt two decks so far and when I was done there was no play at all just free spinning spindles. I hope this helps. John H

I replaced the idler pully spring last night and have no side to side play in the spindles, about an 1/8 inch play up and down, simplicity dealer said that was about normal. However my idler pully has a greese zerk and and when I took off the pulley to inspect it the inner sleeve does not rotate freely is it suppose to? when I reassembled it and tightened it down the pully whould move but not very freely. should this pivot point rotate easily? de3ck is man.# 1691218

Yes it should spin freely! Check to make sure it is not upside down, the idler pully has a sleve and the bottom side of the sleve or long side should be down side on the mount and shaft. This sleve should not be restricted by anything. And Make sure you do not have the nut to tight. Or if you have washers on it that extend out to far and touch the pulley this will not let the spindle roll freely. Hope this helps. Doc

Another neat little trick you can use if you replace those bearings!! They are sealed bearings so to make them greasable pull the inside seals off and drill and tap your spindle housing and put grease zerts in them and make them greasable. Those bearings will last forever and run quiter. I did this with my 2210 and talk about a quit deck hardly no sound at all. Works real good. Doc

quote:
Originally posted by lumpy
However my idler pully has a greese zerk and and when I took off the pulley to inspect it the inner sleeve does not rotate freely is it suppose to? when I reassembled it and tightened it down the pully whould move but not very freely. should this pivot point rotate easily?
Sounds like the inner sleeve is rusted in place. That's not uncommon with neglected decks. Tap the inner sleeve out with a punch and hammer. If not worn, lube and reinstall. The idler pulley should spin freely and quietly, and the entire idler arm should pivot freely.

thanks guys, I pulled an exploided view off the simplicity web site and it appears that the inner race and bushing are froze up on the lever assembly. I will pull apart and see if I can free them up.