Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Wrenchbender

brigs engine head gasket

Wrenchbender
I just put new gasket on our old 725 she started right up. ran few minutes.then quit.head gasket blew again!!! It is a model 19 any ideas? head and block clean and flat, didnot blow in same place. ?????????:(

HubbardRA
Did you clean the threads in the block and on the bolts. I always run a tap in the holes and a die down the bolt. This makes sure that you are getting the proper torque on the head bolts.

Roy
Also make sure the head gasket surface is flat on the head and block. If the head is warped it can be milled, or sanded on a flat surface, to make it flat. Per Rod H's suggestions also make sure the bold holes in the block are clean and empty so the bolts can go in full length. Good luck,

BLT
Lastly do not run the bolts down dry. Briggs for example recommends graphite grease. Dry threads can give a really bad misreadings in torquing down. To me the three most important areas of torquing where bolts need to be lubed are conn rod bolts, head bolts and sump cover bolts.