Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Toaster Oven

Brent_Baumer

Today at work a guy in the machine repair shop requested petty cash to go buy a toaster oven. I asked him why he thought the company should buy him a toaster oven. He said the one in his shop broke. What do you use it for I asked? He said he uses it to heat bearings so they slide on shafts easier due to expansion. Neat idea. I guess I'd heard of this trick before but had forgotten it. I know I've fought getting new bearings on mower deck spindles before. I'll have to remember this one next time. Brent

Just want to watch not to heat it to much and melt the seals.In some cases I have done just the opposite,sometimes I will put the shaft in the freezer for a while that way I know I wont melt a seal.I suppose if you had a stuborn one you could heat the bearing and freeze the shaft,LOL

I like to heat them in an electric crockpot with motor oil in it. You don't want to heat it much above 200 degrees or the oil will smoke. You won't get much more expansion if you heat it more, just make sure your wife doesn't find out you used her crockpot. MikeG

in the shop where i worked we kept an old hot plate and a 3 pound coffee can just for that. it worked wonders.

At work we have a magnetic field heater made specifically for heating bearings. It is set at 176 degrees. This is plenty hot enough to expand the bearing without hurting the seals or melting the lubrication out of them.

We also use a bearing heater bad thing I can not get close to it.Those bearing heaters and pace makers don't get along well.I helped put a crank disk on a new crank shaft for a 65 horse case stem engine.On that one we put the crank in dry ice and heated the disk.Went well with a large mallet.Bob

MikeG is right. A crock pot & vegetable oil work just fine at the factory. We install bearings on a daily basis.