Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Montgomery Ward by Simplicity??

upstatemike

Hello all, I've been scarce around here after taking a new challange with a new Company. The winter was long but spring has finally sprung and we're playing ball, finally... I recently happened upon a tag sale and an interesting piece of equipment.I had read in the past of the Simplicity / Wards relationship of days gone by and this 2 wheeler had a Wards tag (very faint) and old orange paint. The woman wanted $20, but took $10. It has what appears to be a Wisconsin Magneto engine. I took it home and had it running in an hour, only had a stuck valve. After getting the engine running, I took the rest apart (lots of heat) and wire wheeled, primed and painted it. It looks good and operates well. The only problem is the dogs in the outer hub. They are rotted away. Is there a source for the assembly or dogs alone?? The # on the gearbox is MID-W3-8290. Can anyone identify this machine or help with parts?? I searched "walkers", "2 wheel tractors" and many variants, but couldn't find an identical match, but some similar.. A friend of mine gave me a sicle bar that mounted right up, so it's not just a power head anymore, and my son took the batteries out of my camera for his CD player, so I'll post after pics later... Any help would be greatly appreciated... Mike [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/upstatemike/MW2wheelbefore .JPG[/img]

If it's a MID -- that's a Midland, who also made tractors for Wards. The attachments would interchange with the more expensive Simplicity-made tractors...

Thanks Kent, I'm a little disappointed, but it's still a cool, well built machine and I'll have some fun with it. I've got another set of ag tires, so I think I'll put duals on it, chain em and push some snow next winter, and also look for more attachments.. Thanks again...Mike

I would not put duals on that tractor.You lose traction with more tire area. Just put on the chains and push away or put on a snow blower and have a good time.I have one of the same model.The engine is tight but it is all there.Bob

• 3 weeks later...
After. Had to make a linkage for the sickle bar, it works great. The old Wisconsin is a 1 pull machine.