Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PTO Spring??????

Bunky

Mowerman1193 And I were talking and he was needing a new cross drive belt and i showed him on my B112 the lever to release the spring on the PTO for the mower.. Well he says he doesn't ahve this lever.. and neither does an old 101 I have out back... How and where does the spring attach to the rear at???????? Does it take the big heavy spring like the others????

There is a handle attached to a bolt extending out of the transmission - the handle pivots on that bolt. the spring is attached to the handle and to the bottom of the PTO. the diagram showing this is located here: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17509

My 61 Wards does not have this lever, as does my two mid-70s ACs. I do not have the floating pulleys and spring unit on the tractor at the moment (since we had been using it for tractor pulling), so I can't pinpoint the exact attachment point for the spring. I do know that it is attached to a hard mounting point without a release lever, and it mounts near the center of the unit, not on the left side as the newer units do.

Well The post I went to that Dave left shows a B10 with the lever but my 101 doesn't have it either does mowerman1193's 2 64 landlords.....

Brian, Your Landlord 101 should have the same setup as a Big Ten. Go to the link below to see the pto and where to attach the spring release handle to. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3632_00_LL_S.pdf The 64 Landlord does not have the release handle assembly. the spring attaches as in the picture below.

Brian- another issue related to the b-112 is the rod on the handle is longer than on the 3-speeds without the vari-speed drive (the b-110s or b-10s). I've got a handle and a rod from a b-112 if you're interested.

Oh no my B112 is all set were just trying to figure out if the 64 landlord of mowerman1193's had the right spring set up on it...

Well the diagram that Gregc posted is the way my 64 Landords are set up so I guess they are right.Must be the earlier model tractors did not have the release arm.

My 1964 101 and B1 do not have the lever but my 1966 LL101 has the lever must depend on the year. JBlack

I just ordered the parts that were listed on the link. Sandy Lake had all the parts new (except the handle assembly was used at a good price). I hope to hook them up soon. The belt kept coming off so I thought something was amiss. I looked in my 725 manual and saw the above spring and that got me thinking that there was something missing. I made the post and Greg C got me straightened out as far as the missing parts. Anyway thats why this site is so good. Thanks for all those that contribute. JohnH

While plowing, I discovered this new looking part in the dirt (it was Item 30 Part #2026430 Rod, spring tension which fell off); I put a new bolt and lock washer on this, but it seems to keep getting loose. According to the diagram they used a cap screw and nut, what is that? Anyone else experience this? Any ideas to stop me from loosing this part?

Michael, Go to the hardware store and get a self locking nut (lock nut) to fit the capscrew (bolt). I like the lock nuts with the nylon insert best. That should solve your problem.