Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower conversion questions part II

srwven

A year or two ago I was trying to figure out how to use a 36" snowblower from a 2010 on my 7014. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4155&SearchTerms=snow[/url] Yes I know the wheel tracks on the 7014 are slightly larger than 36". Short of it you guys helped me figure out that, 1. the hitch on the snowblower will not work with the front pto on the 7014, that I could 2. fabricate a hitch to work with the center pto like the 7100 series, or modify the current blower bracket. To update, I could get a hitch for a 7000 series snowblower. My question is, would this bracket work the the 36" blower and allow it to run off of the front hitch? I looked at the parts manuals for both and cant tell from pictures if the dimensions for the blower attaching to the hitch are the same.

There are three ways you can do it. 1) Use a 2-pulley hitch for a 7000 series, and install a clutch on your front PTO. 2) Use a 1-pulley hitch for a 7100 series, and modify your center PTO swing arm. 3) Make a hybrid hitch. > http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/snowthrower_hitch.htm

Thanks Dutch, I guess my question in a nutshell is, do all of the hitches fit all the blowers? The reason I asked is that the 36" blower that is listed under what fits for a 2010 seems to be different, in that only a few tractors are listed as to fitting the blower.

quote:
Originally posted by srwven
I guess my question in a nutshell is, do all of the hitches fit all the blowers?
To answer in a nutshell, yes and no. Most LFGT hitches will bolt to the snowthrowers and the tractors with little or no modification. To get the hitch to work is another story. The various numbers listed in "What Fits" is for the Snowthrower that will fit and work with the tractor withoutout any modification. They are exactly what is needed. The difference between two different numbers may be as minor as one single pin, or the difference may be major. Whenever a snowthrower or hitch is installed on a tractor for which it was not designed, some modifications will be needed. You will probably find that just about any LFGT hitch will probably bolt to just about any LFGT snowthrower, and just about any LFGT tractor. But bolting the components together is only the beginning. Where are you going to get the power? How are you going to transmit the power? What type of declutching mechanism are you going to use? Sometimes all OEM parts from various model tractors can be used. Other times OEM parts never existed, so you have to fabricate. Something as simple as a belt can present a problem. For example, the belt for a 7100 series is 147" long. If you decide to use the same power transmission design on a 7000 series, the 147" belt will be too long. The wheelbase of the 7000 series is 2" shorter than the 7100 series, and Simplicity doesn't make a belt of the proper length. Snowthrower shaft pulleys can present another problem. The OEM snowthrower will use a certain size pulley. If a different snowthrower is used, the pulley may be larger or smaller than OEM. The OEM belt won't fit, and the snowthrower RPM will too fast or too slow. Unfortunately, there are so many different combinations of components, there is no easy answer. I have spent hours researching part numbers, scratching for measurements and specifications, and finding components that will work together, or making them. Mixing and matching components can to very time consuming, confusing and frustrating. The reward is when everything goes together and works.

The blowers are all the same with a few exceptions all of the different hitches will fit the blowers. Simplicity used the same blower design but changed the hitch design to fit different design tractors IE: large frame vs. small frame, Vertical shaft engines vs. horizontal shaft engines, front mounted engines vs. rear mounted engines, front pto vs. center pto. Same Attachments different hitches.