Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle bar question

Dave-Saratoga

Should there be a slight bend in the bar itself. Mine has a bend in the vicinity of where it attached to the hinge assembly.

I took a quick look at mine (stored in corner of garage, not on tractor) and I can't see any noticeable bend. Got it last fall and have not mounted it to the tractor yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave-Saratoga
Should there be a slight bend in the bar itself.
No.......

quote:
Originally posted by Dave-Saratoga
looks like i'll have to get out the flame wrench & fix it then ;)
Before you do that, try removing the bar, place a 2x4 under each side of the bend, and step on the bend with your foot. May be able to straighten it out cold, which is better.

I had the same bend in mine, and was able to straighten it out cold. I put it in a vise with the location of the bend immediately adjacent to the vise jaws. Then I leaned GENTLY against the bar further out from the bend and was able to slowly bend it completely straight. Just make sure that you have the bend immediately outside of the jaws, or you you will end up bending it at the wrong place. You will likely have to do the same for the knife bar which will be bent to the same degree. The method Dutch described didn't work for me. It would just jump back again to the same bent shape.