Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Update on club house auction tractor

crequake

Howdy folks, I got the club house auction tractor home from Brents OK, It looks good sitting next to the B110's. Quite a trip home, horrible storms/hail/winds & a tornado acroos eastern Indianna & western Ohio. I have rebuilt the deck, hard wired the battery ignition system, and repaired the 2nd/reverse problem. (easy fix, surface rust on the "y" shaft) New problem - the axle tube has 4 big fractures in it. Does any one have a spare tube or transaxle they are willing to part with? Thanks, Foot dragging in DELMARVA, Nick

Hi Nick. Sorry to hear about the fractures I did not notice. Since you drove the tractor around while here I assume it is not broken all the way around. Could the tube could be welded? Brent

Was the Axel supported independent of the tires? I mean was something under the axel during transport? Im suggesting if the tires were on the axel and the tires were not on the deck i think that a tire/axel shaft whipping or fatiging may have made semmingly small unnoticable cracks into big ones. Did you know that cars shipped by train from the east coast to the west coast have had wheel bearing failures. Noticable rough ride compared to other cars not shipped by train. its the constant whobble in the some position that digs a dip in the bearing surface. Yes i am good at balderdash.

I've had 3 of these axle tubes bad on various tractors.One broke completely,had to replace axle.The other two I caught, just starting to crack.These two got welded up only after putting new axle shaft seals in.I figure if it has to come apart again I'll put new in.I've been using one of the repaired units on a regular basis and working it pretty hard with a blade on it.So far so good.:D

No need to apologigize Brent. There is no way you could have known without completely tearing down the unit. I have never acquired one of these units without having to fix something. I welded it up, took it to a buddy with a surface grinder & the tube looks great. Next problem; it just wont go. I have a differential problem. I have a few B110's here & have the repair manuals, but the section on differentials is lacking at best. I suspect the roll pins need replacement, but my manual does not specify the length. Any input from the club would be much appreciated. Thanks, Nick

The roll pins I put in - all 6 I think - were the same length as those that came out. Ace hardware did not have double roll pins, just single, and so that is what I used. Check to make sure the hub hasn't slide outward not allowing the gears to mesh. I made that mistake and it only worked a short time. Thought I broke all the roll pins but they were fine. I just had to slide the hub inward toward the transmission and tighten the set screws. I might not have tightened the 2 setscrews enough. Brent