Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs v-twin?

KohlerMan

Hey boys, I own a simplicity 3410 s. I got rid of the original engine (16 hp 1 cyl) Then i bought a used 18 hp briggs twin and IT WAS JUNK!!!. I mean JUNK! So, here is my question: I am looking for a briggs v-twin. I here the newer models have v-twins. I'm not sure when mine was made, but i know its fairly old.I am wondering if i can fit a v-twin in there or not. If you (or you know someone) that has one please let me know. thanks, JohnMark

I have installed them in a B-210, HB-212, and two 914's. Should be no problem on a 3410. You will have to make an adapter plate to raise the engine to the proper height, and you can purchase the components from Briggs to connect the driveshaft. Pat

John what was wrong with the original 16hp single? I much prefer them over the twins or later singles. If you still have the old 16hp and the block is ok I'd look into rebuilding it. Just one mans opinion. Larry

Here is a website for an adapter plate for briggs v twins. The company sells complete kits to repower simplicity tractors. They advertise the 7100 series, I am not familiar with the frame on the 3410 though. I am assuming it is similar. [url]http://www.repowereng.com/repowereng/adapter_plates.htm[/url]

quote:
Originally posted by PatRarick
I have installed them in a B-210, HB-212, and two 914's. Should be no problem on a 3410. You will have to make an adapter plate to raise the engine to the proper height, and you can purchase the components from Briggs to connect the driveshaft. Pat
Pat, I know it's on here somewhere, but my search has been fruitless. Do you know the crankshaft height for the briggs 10hp? I keep thinking it's 5 1/2 inches. Seve

larry, The carb was a piece of trash. the overall engine was okay and was just rebuilt but it was done by a amish guy. the crank was out-of-round so it was still klunker. it always died when it warmed up.it was VERY hard to start and when it did start it ran kinda dum. The briggs guy said i could get a china carb for $60 or a usa carb for $139. so i just could not stand the engine any longer and i sold it for $90! + s&h. JohnMark