Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

first try tilling

dav

Got the Big Ten running-sort of- and got impatient to see what it can do. The engine will only run at full choke idle. I found the pages on the 243 431 from the club pages but no adjustments seem to help. I rebuilt the carb last fall. The local Simp dealer is staffed by a bunch of intellectually challenged kids...but I didnt know that on my first visit. 1st visit; "I need a carb kit" "They dont make a kit, you'll have to buy the individual parts" 2nd visit; "I need a jet that you didn't sell me before" "Oh, You need to buy the carb kit" Now I go down to Mass to a very knowledgeable and helpful dealer, even thou I have to pay sales tax. Anyway...I think maybe one of the jets is wrong so I'm going to buy the kit and try again. But that didn't stop me from trying to till. Tiller works well enough but doesn't level out the mounds I left with the bobcat. Soon as my grader blade arrives, I'll take care of that little problem. Having fubared the 10 inch pulley on the trans as I removed it, I was stuck buying what the dealer could get me- a used 6 1/2 inch pulley. dealer said the 10 inch was not available anymore. Reading the club pages on the tiller, it said it's an 8 inch pulley. The small pulley does not let me move as slow as I'd like so I'm riding the clutch. I have called the local bearing supply co and they can get me an 8 or a 10 inch pulley in stamped sheetmetal(they stock castiron pulleys but think the weight might be detrimental to the trannie bearings). Tomorrow I'll find out the prices. So all in all, the first try was disappointing. But there's a 3 day weekend to sort it out! Yahoo!!

Dav........welcome to the wonderful world of "what in the H*** did I get into?". As to the engine problem, it sounds like fuel starvation. did you cleanout the tank and check the little filter screen in the bottom? My 3102V did the same thing and I found that screen clogged up. I removed that screen and installed an in-line filter and it runs like a top now. Just a thought. Larry By the way, what model Trumpet do you have?

My local Agway farm store carries universal two-piece pulleys in several sizes. You buy the hub and the pulley separately, then tack weld the pulley to the hub... That might be an option....

I had the fuel shutoff out of the tank once when i was at that stage of the repairs. I cleaned it and reinstalled it, plus put an inline filter in. If its not raining too hard tomorrow eve, I'll pull the valve and poke a hole in the screen. The bearing place didn't have prices on the pulleys yet but expect three week delivery. The local lawnmower shop has the carb kit waiting for me. The Trump is a 1975 750 Tiger TR7 twin. Now that the Big Ten is out of the greenhouse, I have no excuse not to work on the bike...except for the VW Rabbit pick up project and the Cabriolet project and the jet boat overhaul. I need more space!!!

there should be no problem with cast iron pulleys either. we used them in garden tractor pulling all the time, without a problem. if you can find a 12" pulley it will fit and run also with the proper belt. thats what i use on the loader below, just don't be in a hurry to go anywhere:D^