Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what to do?!

I have a 1970 land lord that runs well it dosent charge it dosent look the greatest it has a set of chains, a snow blower,snow/dozer blade,sicle bar mower,mower deck,and a home made grader blade. Im at a delema every time I want to use the darn thing I have to fix something on it and I just dont know what to do with it. How much is some thing like this worth? when it work its great when It dosent I get so [V] So I geuss I am looking for advice, I would like to paint it but that is so much work!! Thanks Doug

Its worth keeping. Mainly you need to decide how much you want to do to it and how partial you are to it. If you catch the right bidders on Ebay with those attachments it may well go as high as 500 or more, but even if you put another 500 into restoreing it, do you think you could find something comprable for 1000. probably not but maybe. If you really hate it and gotta get rid of it I'll give you 200 for it. So would probably a dozen others here. Restore it and you would have something to be proud of and it'll last another 33 years. Its really up to you.

MY TWO CENTS: Doug, Thats a real good machine if you fix it up- check around and see if you can find someone to rebuild the starter/generator and that should solve your charging problem. The implements are worth a small fortune unto themselves, and the tractor is worth a few bucks too. Restore it and you will have a great tractor that will outlast a new one. As far as painting it goes, check out my post titled "2010 finally finished". I added the link below. I did that tractor painting for around $35.00. It was time consuming but I enjoy it. Welcome to the club!:D http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17226

If your not going to use some of the attachments, you may think of selling them to finance the repair of the tractor. Some are not to easy to find, so be sure you want to part with them. My 2 cents. Dan

A sickle bar mower is worth around $350, a snow blower-about $250, a blade-about $125, and you will still have the tractor to mow with. The pieces are worth more than the combo. If you work in a body shop painting should be a breeze for you. I removed the pieces that came off easily, but painted the frame with tranny and wheels attached. Used Chevy engine orange spray cans. My "bondo" work leaves a little to be desired.

I would have the starter/gen. tested before I go and have someone rebuild it.Might not be the problem.Could be as simple as a bad wire/cable connection,or a bad voltage regulator. The others are right though...that tractor with a little invested would outlast most newer tractors for alot less money.