Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help needed on Gilson

68_Mag

Hello all. I apologize for the off- topic tractor, but I cant find any Gilson groups anywhere...and the best advice seems to come from the Simple Tractors folk. Several months ago, I was prowling junkyards in search of an AC garden tractor. Now, small tractors were never a big thing in my area, so when I saw the Gilson and it's 3 point hitch, I snapped it up. For 50 bucks, I got a complete Gilson, 18 horse 2 cylinder garden tractor with a 4 speed Peerless transaxle- minus the engine. I brought it home, and set about putting the Briggs and Stratton 18 horse, 2 cylinder engine I have into it. It was a direct bolt in. However, my problems began soon enough. I'm working on a tight budget, and a deadline. If it doesnt run within 2 weeks, it gets hauled to the landfill. Now, the engine is mostly complete, with a few small problems. The carb has been 'worked on' before. I picked up a rebuild kit, only to find the float is ruined. So I'll get a new float, then it should be good to go. It's missing the starter. I have a good, working, single cylinder starter, but it wont fit the 2- banger. I would just swap mounting plates with a non- working 2 cylinder starter, but I cant find one. However, I have an option. I met a gentleman who offered to sell me an 18 horse, 2 cylinder Briggs, just like I have, for 100 dollars. It runs for a few seconds, then cuts off. Probably a carb problem. The thing is, I just need the starter. However, buying a running engine and rebuilding it's carb would definately be quicker than trying to get mine running. On mine, I have to wire up the entire electrical system, and I have no idea how. On his, I'd simply have to lift it out of the Murray mower it's currently in, then swap the wiring. I cant decide what would be better to do, though. Do I continue to hunt a starter, or try and scrape together enough money to buy a complete engine? I dont really have the money for an engine, but I have to do something. I also need a battery for the Gilson, and, in time, hitch hardware and a seat. I've been hoping I could trade my good, single cylinder starter for one off the 2 cylinder, or buy a bad 2 cylinder starter and put my mounting bracket on it. Of course, I need to figure out what model Gilson I have, too. Opinions?

Seems to me I recall hearing that Gilson was bought out by Lawn-Boy, which in turn was bought out by Toro. If you can locate an old time dealer, between him and your Briggs dealer, maybe they can help.

Thanks, Dutch. I went by the local starter shop and picked up the proper mount for 5 bucks and put it on. So my starter problems are solved...I hope. I'm leaving here in a few minutes to get a new float, a wiring diagram, and hopefully a battery. Maybe I'll be running by the weekend.

Well, an update. I got a starter mount and the carb done, only to find a major problem. I dont have any idea how to wire this thing. Does anyone have a diagram for a 2 cylinder Briggs 18 horse with a vertical shaft? It just has to start, run, and maybe power some headlights. Thanks