Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Question on loader tractors

BruceF

I have a Johnson loader on one of my B-1's.That tractor also has a 16 hp Briggs in it. The question I have is I was thinking of taking the loader off the B-1 and putting it on either my newly acquired Simplicity 7013S or my Allis 716H. I was thinking the 716H would be easier to control without all the shifting until I just got the 7013S. I like the gear drive of the 7013S and the shuttle drive.(First shuttle drive I own). What are your thoughts of putting the loader on a shuttle tractor? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks! [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//uploaded/BruceF/b1_loader.jpg[/img][img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/BruceF/IMAG1039.JPG[/img]

As far as tranny types go, the guys with the big tractors tell me that Hydro or shuttle are preferred for loader work. I believe its faster and produces less wear on trannyy components. Steve

Though I have no personal experience with the shuttle trans, I'd tend to think it would work better than the hydro. The problem with the hydro, and it being hand-controlled, is that there is no easy way to drive, operate the bucket, and vary the speed as you push into a pile of dirt, for example. You can't slip the clutch on a hydro very well, since it's not made for that, and one hand is taken up with the bucket controls. The other hand has to share time between the steering wheel and the speed control lever. At least with the Johnson loader, the controls are on the left, leaving the right hand to swith between steering and speed control. On a Simplicity/AC loader the controls are on the right, so you'd have to try to simultaneously control the bucket and the speed. That's three levers in two locations to try using at one time... You wouldn't have that problem with a shuttle -- you ride the clutch, like you do with a normal 3-speed, then quickly pull back to reverse...

I just purchased a 7013s with a kwik-way loader. I havent had a lot of time to practice with it yet. But I am finding myself getting confused with all the controls. I have to worry about the throttle, two hydraulic controls, shuttle control,clutch. I'm not familiar with the hydro so I cant comment on that. But I am amazed at the durability of the tractor. The loader was made in the 70's and appears to have been on this tractor for a long time. I have a heavy weight box and a heavy homemade wooded platform on the back of the tractor. When lifting an over heavy load with the loader I can easily lift the back of the tractor off the ground. The first day I got it running I tried to lift a dead tree, the back lifted off the ground and I nearly rolled the thing!!!Good luck

Thanks for the replies. My Johnson loader has to controls on the right side which would have to be considered when putting loader on either the hydro or shuttle. I was leaning toward the shuttle because of the gear drive and control with the clutch. Was also thinking of taking the 16 hp out of the B-1 and putting it in the shuttle tractor as the 13 hp needs to be rebuilt. Not sure when I will have the time to do all this but would like to have it done before winter if I do it. Here is another picture of the B-1. You can see the loader controls better that are on the right.[img]http://spider.smig.net/users/bfrondal/b1_loader2.jpg[/img]

on my 620ac i built a loader this past winter as far as weight on the back i took a 16 gallon drum and filled it with scrap steel and concreat hooked it to 3 point hitch and it works great picked op a 454 full dress chevy motor and back end stayed perfect