Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B10 transmission pulley...more than one size?

DavidG

Did Simplicity or A/C offer different size drive pulleys on their transmissions ...6" and 8" ? (this is on an early B-10) If so, how much difference in speed and power is there in the 8" over the 6" and what is the belt part # or size for the 8" pulley set up. Dave

I believe the standard size pulley is 6". There was an optional 10" pulley. I've heard of but haven't seen an 8" pulley. I don't happen to have belt part #'s right in front of me. A little searching on the ST site and you might find the part #'s. I have both the 6&10" pulleys on my tractors now and find each one has it's advantages, the 10" makes lot of power but is very slow. I like the 10 because the tractor dosn't jump when releasing the clutch quickly and you can run the engine speed up at high rpm and still control the ground speed easier. With the 6" pulley dumping the clutch can lead to whiplash[:0]but I can cover a lot of ground quickly if need be. I use both tractors for different purposes so its kinda hard to compare apples and oranges.:p:D

Dave..thanks for starting this post! It brings up some great possibilities. Reed...Your setup gets me thinking...what about a "quick-change pulley system? Sounds like a project for my new B-10. Larry

Larry a quick change pulley would be great but unfortunatley belts must also be changed for different pulley sizes. I know that's not real hard but... And just for clarificaton I have 1 tractor with a 6" pulley and 1 with a 10" not both pulleys on the same tractor which would be similar to the hi/lo that I'd like to have.:p

The Hi-Lo, while in Low reduces speed to about 33% of Hi speed range since it has a 3:1 reduction ratio. Since you can change ranges with the Hi-Lo, you effectively have a six speed tractor. The fixed 10" pulley yields a speed of 60% of the 6" pulley and is about a 1.7:1 reduction, if I'm doing the math right....

Hi I just put an 8 inch pulley on my landlord 101 to till my garden it`s listed on the 32 inch tiller owners manual on this site . JBlack

I use the 10" pulley setup with a 32" tiller on my B10 and usually till in first gear.:)

There are many different pulley combinations that can be used. A pulley is a pulley as long as the "v" groove angle is correct, the shaft size is correct and the offset is correct. I have used many different combinations both front and rear, in my tractor pulling days. Had to match wheel speed to engine power to maximize the length of pull. Unfortunately, if it's not stock from the factory, then you will have to figure out the correct belt to use.

Thanks for the input guys. The reason I was asking is, the pulley on the B10 I'm restoring is the standard 6", and at one time in it's life it got all bent to heck. I got a hold of a fellow on this web site, and bought a pulley from him.(Renegade J , real nice guy). Nothing about the pulley diameter was mentioned by either one of us , and when I received it the other day, sure enough, it was 8". In fact I just went out to the shop and double checked it . It came off from an early B-10 also. I knew they made a 10 " , but I wasn't aware of the 8". I'm going to go ahead and use it. Maybe it will be a nice comprimise between the 2 sizes. I'll let you all know how it worked after I get this tranny rebuilt, but that's going to be another post for later. Dave