Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
EZDUZIT

Raising Cut height !! ??

EZDUZIT
Hey guys, I know that someone [or if not all of you] can help with this.As some of you know I have a 1970 Simplicity 3212V,42" deck. I am not happy with the height of the cut of the deck,Ive seen it posted here a long time ago,that,Im not alone with this. I dont want to sound stupid,which in my case is very hard !!LOL ! But there has to be a way to raise the cut of this old "Gal" I thought I read last year where someone had figured it out.I have finaly got it ready and complete,except I have a 10 hp briggs in lieu of a 12 hp in it. Mowed last weeek ,plenty of power,ran like a clock.Problem being,cut was too low.By the instuctions I have it to maximum height.Turnbuckles and height adjusters set to maximum height.When hot weather gets here I will burn the lawn surer then hell.I know someone or someone,s posted a way to get it an inch or so higher,but for the life of me I cant find it under search. Can anybody ,please help me out,I would appreciate all help.Pictures would help a lot.

pofarm
I made a new roller bar assembly for mine. I made the arms that the roller bar mounts on 1 1/2 inch longer than the originals. I was able to move the front deck mounts up in the frame hangers. I have about a 3 inch max. cutting heigth now.

Ishmael2k
I am also not thrilled with the height of cut. I just replaced the roller bar assembly on my 7116, all of the rollers are snug, and it is still to low for me, especially once summer gets here. I was thinking of adding another, higher, guide hole on the dogleg bars to the roller bar. It looks like I can get approximately 5/8" extra height that way. This should be enough to help the grass stay green when the weather turns hot. My question is; Is this going to affect the leveling of the deck enough to where I will have to relocate the front mounts also?? pofarm, that sounds like a good solution, I am in the process of rebuilding another 48" to put on my second tractor and it needs a new roller bar assembly anyway. I have a friend that owns a machine shop, I am sure he would be willing to fab me a new assembly. Maybe I will set that deck up for my "Summer" deck and leave my other one stock and use it in the spring and fall... Hmmmm...;) Rob

hufhouse
I have a 7117 with a 48" deck, and I've always been unhappy with the height of cut. I also can't seem to get my deck perfectly level. I tore the deck down over the winter and replaced all parts with visible wear, and I still can't get it high enough or level. When I max out the height on both sides with the hand screws, one side is about 1/2" higher than the other. I have tried leveling according to the directions (by adjusting the yokes in the front of the deck), and I don't get very much adjustment that way. Once I get the two yokes very different from each other, the yokes start to bind where they hang on the tractor, and I can't get the pins in and out without a lot of force...like a hammer. If I try to level the deck using the hand screws on both sides, the design of the leveling mechanism really doesn't allow for the roller bar to be anything but parallel to the deck. I'm considering leveling the deck by having my teenage son sit on the tractor and by adjusting the tire pressure! I'm really at my wit's end with it. I'm constantly trying to max out the height and get the cut nice and level. My family thinks I'm becoming obsessed!

HubbardRA
I guess I am the only one who has a mower deck that seems to work right. I have a 48 inch deck that I traded for last summer. It was mowing entirely too low. Went out two weeks ago and turned the adjustment screwy six full turns each, and now it it is mowing a little too high. Mine has more adjustment in both directions, so I guess I am lucky and have one that works correctly. Unfortunately, I am not able to determine the difference between mine and yours. I don't know the year or part number of my deck. The person who traded it to me said he saw it laying in a pile of parts at a lawn and garden shop and purchased it. If someone can tell me where tha part number is, then I can relay that info.

mowerman1193
Well the cutting height seems to be a problem with the Simplicitys is seem like to me.I have heard alot of talk about the highest setting isnt high enough.I also would like to get a higher cut out of mine.I have also thought about making different dog ear tabs to get a higher cut.The best I have gotten mine up to was 3in.I like to mow at 3.5in.I see in the specs on my tractors that 3 1/4 in. is as high as they get.

Ishmael2k
Hufhouse, Sounds like you have the same problem I had with a previous deck. I cold never get it quite level either. Turns out that the previous owner had always used the deck to get on and off of the tractor and had managed to warp/bend the linkage to the point that it would not level out with the available adjustments. I never tried to fix it, (Sold it to someone not near as picky as I am.) but I think you'd need to pull the leveling mechanism off of the deck and make sure that all the parts were square and straight. I am going to go ahead and take mine off of my tractor and check everything out for true and tightness. Will let you all know if I come up with something. Rob

hufhouse
I think I might have finally figured everything out tonight. I misread my instruction book and thought that you could somehow level the deck left to right by adjusting the yokes. You can only adjust the level of the deck front to back with the yokes, and the front should be 1/4" higher than the back. I said in my previous post that I could not level the deck left to right using the hand screws. I found out tonight that is not correct. In the past, I would turn the hand screws and nothing happened to the height of the blades. The deck didn't move down on only one side. I discovered tonight that I need to put significant downward pressure (translated "step on") the deck to push it down when I adjust one side downward. Now, I have the left side of my deck at its maximum height and the right side down a couple of turns, but the blades now measure equal distance from the ground side-to-side. (That was another mistake of mine...I always thought the screws needed to be turned in unison starting at the highest point. Any time I would turn one, I would always turn the other an equal amount.) Also, it made a big difference in the overall mowing height just to adjust the front of the deck up to the correct height. To make everything right, I'll bet I raised the front blade almost an inch! My recommendation would be to follow the directions EXACTLY, but the directions don't talk about leveling side-to-side. That can be accomplished by adjusting the hand screws, but you need to put downward pressure on the deck after you turn the screws to make sure it settles down into the correct height. It's too wet to mow, and I really scalped it low yesterday. Considering the weather forecast, I probably won't get to give the new setup a try for a few days. Hopefully, I've got this problem licked. I hope it works for someone else.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by hufhouse
I discovered tonight that I need to put significant downward pressure (translated "step on") the deck to push it down when I adjust one side downward. ........ That can be accomplished by adjusting the hand screws, but you need to put downward pressure on the deck after you turn the screws to make sure it settles down into the correct height.
Unless the bolts are too tight, or the roller adjustments are rusted, the weight of the deck should be enough without stepping on it. Do you guys know there are indexes on the roller adjusters? They do work when leveling a deck.

Brent_Baumer
One more tip. The manual says the front should be 1/8" to 1/4" higher in the front than the back. This results in a more mulching type cut and requires slower mowing in tall thick grass. Making the front slightly lower than the back doesn't give you quite as nice a cut but won't bog down the tractor when mowing faster especially in tall thick grass. Learn that from my trail mower manual. Has solved the problem of the trail mower bogging down alot more readily than the tractor. Brent

EZDUZIT
Hey Guys. Thank you all for your suggestions.I did see in ctcreefisher's post that the lift chain should have slack in it,mine does not.Makes sense that it should have slack in my machine as well.I am assuming only.If I am wrong please ,someone advise me.When I put this "Gal" back together I left the chain tight when in mowing position.I will go back to square one.Take deck off and make sure everything is as manual says,then adjust as was told to me here.I dont know whatI would do without this place.Its late and "she" is asleep down in the shed,maybe Ill get a little lucky tomorrow night after work !!!! Thanks again guys.

crequake
Interesting thread. I have a small "fleet" of foot draggers. (yellow and red) I have never been happy with the max height adjust. I was particularly interesed in the idea of making new roller support bars - but that got me thinking. If the back of the mower is raised up, and the front clevis is already maxed out to where it is bottomed out on the frame - would'nt that change the belt geometry of the cross drive belt enough to cause rapid over heating & belt failure. Interested in any thoughts, Nick