Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Its like driving a Cadilac

mbrook

Yesterday evening my buddy came over with his pull-behind sprayer. I wanted to use a liquid weed killer on my acre and didn't want to spray it with a hand held pump sprayer. He said I could use his sprayer but since I didn't have the 12v plug-in for it on my 7013s, he would bring his tractor. He bought it new last summer/fall, its a John Deere X485. I know its green but, WOW! That thing is nice, its quite, its smooth, easy to operate. It was like driving a Cadilac compared to my mini-van. I guess thats what you get when your single and living at home. He knows it was pricy but he also now has a tractor for himself that should last him many years.

MINIVAN?!?!?!?! I prefer to think of my 7014S as more of a truck compared to that cadillac! I kinda like the rough feel I get from it. I have mowed the lawn with my dad's new JD as well and you're right, it is like driving a car. I want to feel like I am on a tractor!:D

Isn't the X485 in the pricerange of a new Legacy? At that price, I'd either want it to be REALLY tough, or REALLY comfortable, or both... :)

Think about it this way when your tractor was bulit it was most likly the most comfortable on the market.And how many years ago was that? Just think about all the people that say the old cars were so much better than the new ones just askthem how offten there cars were in the shop for new tires adjusting the carb new points tires only lasted 15 to 20000 miles and thought that was good.Spark plugs every year.Now a set of plugs last 100,000 miles.I sure like the new cars more.Bob

The old car power and the old car look. The sound of power instead of the sound of a vacuume cleaner. I expect the reason most people by a harley is because of the sound. The old car fade in the corners is not missed by anyone i have talked to.

quote:
It was like driving a Cadilac
Don't think anyone can deny that JD makes a good tractor. Otherwise, a heck of a lot of people must like throwing money away. I've never been on one, but wouldn't mind test-driving a JD "Caddy." But, then again since they cost as much as a Caddy, I'm probably better off not knowing what I'm missing.;)

What you would be missing, Art, is the fun and satisfaction of owning a tractor that will still be uncomfortable BUT also still running when that JD is in the junk pile. Plastic just won't last when it is used to do work. It wears out. Sure a new JD would be nice to have, until the "new" wears off. Just my HO. Dan

Now Bob, you are absolutely correct about the longevity of todays spark plugs & tune ups, BUT - these features are for people that dont do maintenance any way - like the "maintenance free chassis". (why do all the REPLACEMENT u-joints, steering and suspension parts come with grease fittings?)Sure you had to replace the points, plugs, condenser and distributor every 18 months - but it only took 10 minutes. I recently changed the plugs in my wifes van - took me four hours! Un believable what had to come off the engine just to access the plugs. Yup, pining away for SIMPLEr times, Nick

Them John Deeres are about $8,000 my uncle has one. They are a great tractor. Some one said about the plastic. The hoods on them are as tough as steal hoods. All John Deeres tin work on tractors and combines has turned into plastic work and last just as long that is good stuff. I still love my half done 920.

quote:
Originally posted by Leroy
The old car power and the old car look. The sound of power instead of the sound of a vacuume cleaner. I expect the reason most people by a harley is because of the sound.
My friend's JD 110 (can't say anything bad about it he helping me fix my b-110) He has a rope tied to the throttle and when you pull back on it just right it sounds like you are shifting gears on a Harley. Mainly because there is only a 5 inch pipe for the muffler. I love the sound of it!:p

Guess I will believe that JD's will last when I see a 25 year old 2003 model JD still looking good and running good. Dan

As far as the claim that John Deere's plastic is built to last, I have to say that I have never seen a steel hood from an allis broken into several unusable pieces. I have seen at least two "Sabre" hoods which are identical to the "scotts" which some people defend, in the junk pile after only being a couple years old. Even John Deere old fiberglass on the 110's and 112's wasnt very good, 90% of those hoods are damaged, sure those were great tractors but that was their weakpoint. Masseys early MF10's and MF12's had plastic dashboards which most of them now are broke. When is JD going to learn from experience and switch to metal? Sure everything they make now just about is plastic, so if you need a combine buy a "Gleaner" that carries on the Allis tradition of metal! But when it comes down to it the JD mowers are still a lot better than an MTD or even the new cubs. -Chris

One really nice thing about Deere garden tractors is that they use the "quiet" series motors. Wish Simplicity did.

For some reason I love the noise, I guess an ear doctor would disagree. I wish I could have all the power, noise, rattling, and shaking of my B-110 but with a cupholder. That would be perfection. -Chris

The new John Deeres are nice. I have a 1999 JD GT-235, it's done good and the only problem I've had with it was a flat tire. I would love to have a new X-595 4x4 Diesel. But that's $13,500 I don't have. I have never seen but about 5 John Deeres with broken hoods/panels and that was from being flipped or falling out of a truck. My granddaddy had a JD 180 for 15 years and the hood was like new (faded) but still in solid shape. The grill on my Simplicity 4211 is broken and the metal is bent below the grill from the previous owner. I plan to solve any more damage to it by putting a big 3/8" thick bumper/brush guard on the front of it over the summer. All machinery needs improvements in multiple areas. Be glad we don't have Murray's, MTD's, or Craftsman's. The problems would be a lot worse with those.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Isn't the X485 in the pricerange of a new Legacy? At that price, I'd either want it to be REALLY tough, or REALLY comfortable, or both... :)
How does the AGCO ST 25 compare?

quote:
Originally posted by Les
One really nice thing about Deere garden tractors is that they use the "quiet" series motors. Wish Simplicity did.
The quiet is in the mounting. Rubber mounted sub frame and the motor is sittin on that. It's just as noisy with a bad muffler

quote:
Originally posted by dieselman
Them John Deeres are about $8,000 my uncle has one. They are a great tractor. Some one said about the plastic. The hoods on them are as tough as steal hoods. All John Deeres tin work on tractors and combines has turned into plastic work and last just as long that is good stuff. I still love my half done 920.
The hood on the HD 300 is intact but no longer connected to the hinges. The heat factor no doubt got the bolts hot enough and the resitance over time of the hinges just pulled the fasteners out of the hood. but it is not cracked and it is in one piece.

HI,Mbrooks, I don't know much about tractors! but when i was looking to buy my 4040 i went to Y/T classifieds, I seen hundreds of ads of JD for sale or to buy part's for them! which was a turn off for me! I realized, there were only a hand full of ads to buy parts or sell A/C or simplicity Which is why I'm so glad i got my 4040 forgive me But it's only my two cents! thank you art

Just thought of something that makes my B110 like a Cadilac. CHROME!!!! I doubt the new JD's have much chrome. Sorry guys but I'll never have confidence in JD plastic. I have two JD hoods of my own that are broke, never fell of a truck! And I could post pictures of many more if you need proof. As far as the noise I don't like my backfireing from valve problems but I've got to hear and feel the power!!!! Don't get me wrong John Deere has its place as an agrigcultural leader. They have probably the best combines and planters, their field tools and balers are good too. The JD110's were excellent tractors but couldn't beat Simplicity's anti-scalp cut. I like older JD lawn equipment, and the 400 series, if they even make it anymore is probably the best out there other than a Legacy, might even be better? -Chris