Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor 728 Engine Replacement

Just found this site, unfortunately it is after I have blown up the engine on my tractor. I have an excellent condition 1970 Broadmoor 728 that I've had for a couple of years and really like. The problem is I was out cutting in the rain last week and didn't see the oil leak in time. Needless to say, the engine has seized. My question is are there any engines out there that I can just drop on? Any chance in upgrading the horsepower to say 10 or 12. Thanks in advance for any advice.

An 8 hp engine from Briggs or Techumseh is a simple drop-in replacement, and is widely available new and used. A 10 or 12 hp Briggs engine will fit the mounting holes, but the larger engine is about 1/4" too big on the rear side. I mounted one by moving the gas tank back by 1/2". I have heard that others have made it fit by elongating the engine mount holes, or simply hammering the gas tank and console to dent it enough to fit the engine on. I personally would never do that. Tom

I have put a 12HP on mine and I slotted the mounting holes about a 1/4" forward. I kept the 8 HP complete, so never reworked the hood or grill and that has to be done some what. The later 5000 series has a longer frame and hood to accomodate the 10-12 HP engines. I just painted my engine orange, made a couple of headlight brackets, cut down an extra hood I had to cover battery and gas tank. Having an exposed engine just grew on me and most people don't know the difference unless you own one. I have a picture in my profle and gallery. Seven years just gas, oil, greasing, blade sharpening and one battery it still mows like crazy. A perfect match.

You might check into a short block and save some money.I bought a short block from Ebay for my 717 project tractor for $165 shipped.I seen quite a few on there from time to time for around $130-$250.

Thank you for the responses. I'll check into a long block, that sounds like the most cost effective. The higher horsepower would be nice, but I guess I'll just keep it original. Don't want to mess with a good combination. And thanks also for not taking the opportunity to beat on a dumb newbie for cutting the grass in the rain! Thanks again.

Ken, I put a (new at the time~~ 1975) 10HP B&S 25xxxx Synchro-Balanced engine on my Dad's 728 with little to no modification. Those minor mods were: cutting-extending the left side hood relief forward to allow for the larger air filter, and "bumping out" one of the front grill slats for clearing the spark plug. No frame mounting hole mods were needed. I think that basic engine's dimensions haven't changed over the years and the final production of the series was a 12.5HP unit. Pat Rarick might be a more knowledgable source here. It was a totally stealthy looking upgrade when done. Tom(PK)