Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help ID my Simplicity

MTklein

Hello All!! Great forum I found here! Thanks in advance. A friend just gave me his old Sim. lawn/garden tractor (his ex said to get it out of HER garage!) When I went to look at it I thought it would be this tiny thing, but it is a bueatiful big tractor! Nice shape. FREE!! I am dying to get it running, he said he used it last year. I already notice the battery is dead, the belt to the mower deck is shredded in pieces, and it doesnt have a key, when I jump the solenoid the engine cranks good, but no spark? Is there a contact in the key switch I am missing? He also said it goes thru mower belts like crazy. I plan to spend some time and money to fix this up for a daily user and sell my brand new JD 160 that I cant afford. I wanted a sim. but am not hip on all the plastic. this is my dream mower for my 1 acre lot. So, bet you want to know what tractor I have humm.... well so do I!! All I know is it says SIMPLICITY on the hood, thats it, no words, numbers letters anything anywhere! How do I find the Model number and Man. numbers for it???? So I can start looking for goodies and parts. Here is all I know from pouring over it for last few hours: Hydro drive, 48" deck, grill with 12 large squares, small dual lamps in pods on outside of hood, electric lift, CIB B/S single cyl. long PTO shaft out front of engine, rear stabil bar (for attachments?) mech lever PTO engage, Left hand discharge, orange frame with white hood and single black stripe on each side. After browsing the website I am thinking either a system 7016, or a Soveriegn 3416H - 3415H or something definatly early 70s. Any help would be great, I will be back for more, Isnt there a ID tag hidden somewhere?

ID Tag is usually on a silver tag somwhere on frame. Somtimes it is on the panel where your controls are. Once you get the MFG# you can go here http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php to find all information about your tractor. Has serial number plus MFG Number, As far as spark goes you will need to check you magneto and clean it, Wire, Coil, and points. go to any tractor dealer and buy a universal key. Your john deere might work. That is a very good mowing machine that will last you many years if you take care of it. I baught a 1969 2210 Landlord 10 year ago and have mowed with it without any problems other than normal belt and pulley wear, That might be why it is shredding belts. Check the main mower drive pulley sometimes gets sloppy and screws up the key and shaft and will eat belts like crazy. Best 400 I have spent for garden tractor yet. Hope this helps Doc

Welcome to the Club MT! Sounds to me to be something of the 1973 Landlord or Sovereign series like below. You can check this series tractor out at this link to the page on SimpleTractors. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1973/new_in_1973.htm[/url] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1973/sovereign.jpg[/img]

48" deck tells me it is most likely a 16 or 15 Hp Soveriegn. Maybe a 14 hp Baron. Single thin stripes probably rules out a 7016. Most likely a 3416H or 3415H as you have already discovered. If it looks like KSever's pic that confirms it.

Darn, Wish someone would give me another tractor. Definately sounds like a 3416H. Does it have a Vickers Hydro? ddh

Definately sounds like a 3400 series. Fantastic price on a Great tractor! As far as the belt shredding problem, another reason might be that your friend was not buying OEM Simplicity belts. Any other belt will most likely not last more than an hour or two due to the reverse routing used. Once running properly this tractor will give you years of great mowings. Rob

Thanks everyone for the great replies! and words of encouragement. I found a great Simplicity dealer a few miles away, Schroeder Implement. Very friendly and helpful guy, He knew all about my tractor once I gave him the info, bought a ignition key, and points and a condenser, and a new spark plug. Just fooling around before I put the new parts in I tried to start it with the key, no go... I find a 20 amp fuse that is blown, from the wiring it goes up to the dash, so It must be the main power fuse for the ignition, Ill replace it and go from there. I am thinking of doing a sort of small bumper to bumper rebuild on this unit over the next few weeks, so I will be here asking lots of Questions!! What should I expect when changing the con. and points?? is it pretty straight forward, do I need to preset anything? Otherwise, Ill be putting on new belts, blades, pulleys, battery, headlights, adding the rear light, changing hydro fluid and filter, giving the carb a once over, air filter, touch up the paint, and I think a vertical stack muffler with rain cap, would confirm my neighbors suspicions about my sanity!!! THANK YOU all in advance for help!! For each new question I have, should I keep posting in this thread or should I start a new one to keep it simple??

If the ignition is original the blown fuse shouldn't affect it. It is powered by a flywheel magneto. You shouldn't even need a battery to make that tractor run. It should be able to be pull started. The points will need to be gapped at .020. Need feeler gauge for that. I have heard a matchbook cover is .020 thick but that is unconfirmed info. There is a screw to turn to change the gap it is self explainatory. Your profile doesn't list where you hail from. If you are near Hagerstown, IN I can help you if you need it. Brent

Thanks Brent, I GOT IT RUNNING!!! I put in a new ATO fuse holder and fuse, turned my universal key and.....BRRRRRRRAAAAAAMMMMMMMM!!! Wow this thing has power!! I lifted the front tires on asphalt and it lays a patch in gravel!! (dont be mad at me, but I had to) It looks like the fuse was added for some reason by a homeowner, but it definatly cuts power to the key switch. That electric lift is pretty neat, at the end of each travel it goes click,click,click, is that a normal override, or is it hurting it? Also I get I work out turning the steering, is this normal on older tractors? mabye needs grease somewhere? Thanks

The click click click means it's at the end of it's travel.I wouldn't let it click much myself.Steering problem might be tight pins in the axle.Try greasing them until the grease runs out of BOTH ends.

Another thing that will cause stiff steering is if the grease has hardened, you may end up pulling the pins and cleaning them, along with the rest of the linkage. Glad to hear it's running for you!! Rob

Since it's so easy to pull the front spindles, I'd take Rob's suggestion and pull them out, clean them with emery cloth, clean all the gunky dirt/grease out of the axle, then reinstall them and grease them up good. I think you'll see a lot of difference.

Thanks for the advice on the steering, Ill try that tommorrow, by the way to follow up on Brents question, I live in SE Wisconsin, any fellow tractorers here from Wis.?

MT, I live about 10 miles north of Madison while there are a number of other club members that live near us also. You might think about attending the meet in Rhinelander in June to meet a few other club members. Kris

Thanks Kris, I am 20 miles west of Milwaukee, I might make it up to the meet, to see how everyone else does it. Tonight I got frusterated... you know when you are just starting out with a new hobby and have to learn everything from the basics on up. Not only am I really interested in tractors now, but I have to learn all about small engines(luckily mine looks as simple as you could get) and hydraulics and linkage adjustments.. on and on.You know the feeling, cant get enough soon enough. Electrical work is no problem thats my job, but it looks like I need to invest in a few more automotive type tools! Like a damn grease gun, I cant believe I aint got no stinking grease gun!! Next Question, on my B/S engine, I see a dipstick, but no filter? and will I see the oil drain underneath when I pull the deck out? Man I need a tech manual bad, anyone got a man. number I can use to get into the simtechpubs that would be comparable to mine?

I have the Manual that I downloaded from the Simplicity site a while back for the Large Frame Tractors. It says it's not available anymore for download at the Simplicity site but if your email can handle a 28 meg download I can send it to you. Most email accounts won't let you download that much unless you have cable or dsl. But it is a nice book once printed out in color. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/KSever/DSC00231.JPG[/img]

This site has all the Manuals you could ever want. Even the B series and large frame repair manuals. This will require some time and effort on your part Use Part# 100,200,300, ETC. to 900.Then you will have to scroll thought the list to find the one you want. They all have discriptions. All of the repair manuals are here. Part# 100 OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 200 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS,OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 300 DEALER SETUP INSTRUCTIONS Part# 400 PARTS MANUALS Part# 500 REPAIR MANUALS Part# 600 Safety Section,INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS Part# 700 Neutral Adjustment Guide,Electrical Information Manual, Product Service Bulletin Book Part# 800 Misc. Part# 900 Service Bulletin Book,Limited Warranty Simplicity Technical Publications Document Search Engine. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php

The manual I downloaded before for Large Tractors does only come up on the Simplicity site to the front page,index and back page now. The middle section of this document must have gotten deleted from their site. But I have the whole manual downloaded on the zip drive.

You have to down load the rest in sections now from the first download. The sections are indexed on the first page and you click on each section to down load. On the page called Repair manual contents you click on the sections outlined in blue to down load those sections [img]/club2/attach/UCD/ContentsPage.jpg[/img]

The only other repair manual that has changed so far is the Sunstar series repair manual. It to requires multiple downloads.

I tried inputting the 990496 for my tractor and the link come back as no match, Anybody have these manuals for the landlord, I have the parts manuals but nothing else. Thanks Doc

Doc Go to the site I posted above All of the manuals are there [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_973_01_SV_SMA.pdf[/url] You have to download it in sections as stated above