Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wiring question?

kook

I just finished putting a 16HP Briggs in my 7010, replacing a blown 10HP. Using my 7013 as a guide, I connected the white wire to the top bolt of the cover for the points/condenser. There was another black wire there (I'm not sure where that comes from), but I also connected that at the same spot (because that's the way my 7013 was connected). Upon starting, I realized I was not getting any spark. I disconnected the black wire, and she fired right up. When I turned the ignition off, it still runs, so I had to pull the plug wire to shut it off. Is it perhaps a bad ignition switch, or am I doing something else wrong? Any expertise would be appreciated. Kook.

Sounds like you had the kill wire hooked up to the wrong terminal. You were killing the engine before it would start, then you took it off, and were not able to kill it at all. Just a matter of getting that kill wire hooked up to the correct terminal on the ignition.

Upon closer inspection of the 7013, I realized that the white wire and kill wire were connected, and mounted on like a fiber board type thing, and that is then attached to the top bolt of the points cover. It must have some type of insulating factor. I temporarily borrowed it for the 7010, and it works great! Thanks, Kook.