Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bouncing back

Kent

As many of you are aware, I had an accident with my "HB-216" last fall, where the hydro bled down while parked and the tractor ran away, down off a bank in my back yard. {No, I didn't have the parking brake set! B)} When it bounced off a 2" - 3" maple sapling, it dented the front hood pretty bad, wrenched the front grille frame, and bent the dashboard -- among other things... Shortly thereafter, trying to use it vacuum up leaves, the BGB blew out -- I found that the impact must have snapped one of the lower BGB mounting bolts, and another had worked loose -- causing the BGB failure.... Well, after slowly working on it off and on all winter (too cold most of the time), I finally have it back together -- with a few new goodies. It bounced back pretty well, I think.... Now, I just need to get matching tires on the front, and paint the front wheels... but at least I have a mower again! At least Eli (the 11-year old) is pleased with it, since he claims it his....

Kent, That sure is one fine looking machine. The right hand tire (left in the photo) is the type that is on my 210. Why did you use the eye bolts on the seat deck? Is it for a cab of some kind? Steve

Looks great Kent.^ I got your pm. Thank goodness for spare parts tractors! Glad to hear you can now cut the grass.;)

Very nice job Kent.I know Eli is proud of it and I'm sure you are too. Those wide, flat seat decks sure make a nice place to mount goodies. I just got two tool boxes, one for the back of my Big Ten, and one to mount on my Broadmoor 738 in the same location as yours on your HB-216.

Steve, This one also had the "knobby type" tires, but I sliced one and haven't replaced it. This is one off a parts tractor until I can get around to it. The eyebolts are for mounting a surrey top from a SunRunner that Al Eden gave Eli... it's not practical for using around my shrubs, but it's a neat "add-on" for shows and such.
Reed, Spare parts are essential on these oldies. I'll take that hydraulic lift setup you're working on and put it on the Big Ten (which is now leaking bad) and keep rotating them while refurbing them. Hope to end up with one on the loader, so I can use the Johnny Box and its scarifiers instead of the factory weight box. This one doesn't quite match (it's the square-tank style) but it doesn't seem to leak, with the limited use so far. I have two of the square-tank sets and one of the round. BTW, getting new hydraulic lift hoses made at Klem's was about $37... in case anyone else needs them.
Thanks, guys, but it looks much better in the pictures than up close. This one has been worked hard, but it's hopefully mechanically ready to go now, plus now looking better. The 16 HP only has 9 hours on it since a total rebuild, the BGB has now been replaced with a good late-model one, and the Sundstrand hydro out of an AC 716 still seems pretty strong.... When I got it, the seat pan was rusted out, the BGB and varidrive was sloppy, and it was on its second engine (a 1989 Magnetron-type replacement engine, now in the Big Ten) and it was just plain worn everywhere. RobB and I were talking about it when he was up a couple weeks back -- I think the hood, bulkhead and dashboard are the only parts remaining from the original. I replaced the rear seat pan/fenders not long after I got it. The frame and front axle were swapped out at the same time I put the hydro in it. This latest accident destroyed the grille, grille frame and one side panel (it didn't have a left-side one when I got it).... Let's just say that I have a lot of "hands-on experience" with this one...

Kent, Looks good! How about finishing it off with the correct "Guide" headlights and rear light? I know they're hard to come by, but it'd be one of the final finishing touches. Tom(PK)

Tom, I've never had an opportunity to pick up a set of original Guide lights... especially at an affordable price. Then again, what was "correct" for an HB-216 with a Sundstrand -- I can't find any specs for it? :D