Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starting

PaulK

DQOTD: Have been unable to get my Sovereign to start. Grass is getting very long, and I need help. Engine turns over and fires a few times, (up to perhaps five) but fails to catch on. When it last ran, (more than a week ago) I had no problems. I have since replaced spark plug and battery is fully charged. I have tried dry gas. I am suspiciious of crud in the carbuerator or fuel lines, but never having attacked any engine before, I am reluctant to take stuff apart that I know nothing about. Advice? Suggestions? Or do I simily call the shop?

Get the manual for your engine. If you're like me, I can't afford the shop prices. Sounds like a stuck float/valve issue... Steve

It's a 3112 with a B&S engine. I haven't been able to find a serial number to tell how old it is- probably from the late 60's or early 70's from what I've been told. What is a stuck float/valve issue and how does it get fixed?

Pull the plug, put the cap back on, hold the plug against the engine with a screwdriver or something, this is to make sure it is grounded. Turn the engine over, if you are getting STRONG spark then you probably have a dirty carb. If you are getting WEAK spark then you may have a flywheel key partially sheared. If it is the carb, pull the bowl off and clean. Then back the main jet all of the way out, make sure that there is no crud on the needle. Take some carb cleaner and blow the carb out. Screw the jet all of the way back in and then back it off one and a half turns. When the engine starts you will have to adjust the screw to get the engine to run smooth at full throttle. You may need a carb kit, a lot of people suggest pulling the carb and paying a professional to do the rebuild, last time I had one done it cost me about 50 bucks. Good luck!

Most likely not safty cop approved, but a simple way to check if its a carb not delivering gas problem is to remove the air cleaner and dribble gas in it with an oil squirt gun. If it;ll run like that, then you need to deal with the carb..MPH

What else happend that week or so ago. Did it get left in the rain? Was a neighbor kid over hiding his marshmellos in the fuel tank? air cleaners that get to wet or to dirty will not allow enough airflow to fire. Bad gas, bad spark, tired starter? If you dont want to mess with it, take it in you'l sleep better.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Most likely not safty cop approved, but a simple way to check if its a carb not delivering gas problem is to remove the air cleaner and dribble gas in it with an oil squirt gun. If it;ll run like that, then you need to deal with the carb..MPH
You can also try doing that by spraying starter fluid as well, but like Maynard says, BE CAREFUL, NOT SAFETY APPROVED! Like Leroy says, if you are not comfortable then take it to a shop, but this time of year it takes forever to get anything through. The only way I was able to learn how to keep my old gas engines running was by just jumping in and doing it. You are fortunate to have a lot of good people here at Simpletractors that are willing to help you. Problems like this is why I am really liking diesel engines.

By the way, I had an old Briggs that quit starting, drove me out of my mind. What I did was replace the fuel line(from the tank to the carb), ended up replacing it every other year in order to keep the thing running. I think it is like a dollar a foot or something for 5/16" fuel line at Auto Zone.

My baby is kept in the garage instead of the car. Fact that it does fire at all tells me I'm getting a spark, but will check out the ideas suggested and let you know. Thanks for all the advice.

quote:
posted by Les... If it is the carb, pull the bowl off and clean. Then back the main jet all of the way out, make sure that there is no crud on the needle. Take some carb cleaner and blow the carb out. Screw the jet all of the way back in and then back it off one and a half turns.
Most frequently, with the old machines, I tinker with the above fix works wonders. I usually don't mess with the adj. needles unless the cleaning part don't work. Also, check the fuel tank which may have crud in it. If so remove the fuel tank, drain fuel and clean it out.