Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Welding Tips anyone????

MPH

Seeing as I broke 3 of the spring tooths on my toy last sunday,and it only has 8, anyone have some good advice on how to weld spring steel??? Seems I;ve always heard it won't hold...Thanks...MPH

give it a shot. I welded the spring teeth off an old drag to the rusted steel cross tubing off that same drag with good old 6011 rod to make a cultivator behind my simpicity and used it in the garden all last year with no problem

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I plan on tryin it this wonderful 3 day weekend. My daughters are up til sunday afternoon so it most likely won't be til later. Went and canoed the little Tok river this evening instead of trying out my new tires for traction. Precious moments only pass by in life, with memories left...MPH

Marty, I've had the best luck useing E7018 on spring steel. And try to keep it sorta cool, not welding a lot at once. But also not letting it completely cool between passes. If that makes sence. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

Marty, hehehe, N/P. I'm way wooped in here on tractor knowledge. But 30 years of arc'n and spark'n I must'a got something figured out right a few times. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

Joe; it is true that the weakest point when welding the spring steel is the haz. in order to return the part to it original condition heat treating is necessary. In this application it may or may not prove necessary.

Marty, I have welded them and after welding while hot, dip it in some used motor oil. That puts some "heat treat" back into the metal.. Should be fine after that..

your talking nearly immeadiatly. and the person needs to be ready for the violent reaction of the oil. It wont catch on fire unless you put a spark to the oil but take the necessary fire precautions prior to attmpting the oil emmersion quench. Then if you stir the the part in the oil so the oil will not affect 3 sides better than the one side laying on the bottom. The oil is going to sputter and spew like water in a hot oil skillet. The oil quench is a slower cool than air and the steel cannot absorb the hydrogen from the air that can cause embrittlement.

I too, have had excellent results on spring steel by using E7018's and welding as Joe suggests, but I have had only 20 years of experience. ;) Pat

:DPAT!! Quit now while you have eyes and lungs!!;) [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

Joe, Too late for the eyes. Think the combination of burns and steel in my eyes has resulted in more scar tissue than Evel Kneivel's entire body. Pat

The quench will harden the steel, you then need to temper it to take some of the brittleness out of it. I've heard talk in blacksmithing circles of quenched parts snapping in two just by leaving them sit overnight without tempering them....