Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Would like opinion

Hi, I'm brand new here but this looks like the right place to ask a question. I'm considering buying a new (99 model) 5-speed Regent from my local dealer. He is asking $2000. Does this sound like a fairly good deal? Thanks. Burt

I'm no expert re: new tractor prices BUT I can say that you will likely take a significant loss in the tractors value initialially due to depreciation (just like buying a new car). If the right deal came along your way, you might be able to purchase a slightly older tractor WITH IMPLEMENTS for that much or less. My tractor was 24 years old when I purchased it, but it was showroom condit. and meticulously maintained. On the other hand, some parts have become obsolete. There are some good used tractor deals and some ripoffs-be careful. It is a tradeoff. Best to go into these decisions knowing all of your options. Theres alot of info on this site that can help. Good luck. Paul L.

Burt, The five speed Regent with a fourteen horsepower Kholer engine has a list price of $2,450. The Regent has several features superior to the Express, such as the electric PTO clutch, front anti-scalp rollers on deck, and premium tires. The Express has a Briggs & Stratton Intek engine, thinner sheetmetal, and a cheaper seat assembly, a 1999 Regent for $2,000 is a good buy. Hope this helps. R.C.

I know Sim doesn't really have model years, but I believe that in 2000, the Regents will be improved with a full rear roller on the deck, compared to the current outboard wheels. Right now, there's not a lot to differentiate the Regents from the Express's, (at least to the casual consumer) and I think they're making this change to help differentiate the Regents. It's obviously an improvement, so I would either wait for that one, or jump up to a Broadmore, which is worth the extra money. Or, if you really want to save as much money as possible, buy the 5 speed Express for $1600, or the Hydro version for $1900. I think those are the list prices...at least they were in the press release earlier this year. Based on my research, the Express should equal the current Regent in performance. I don't know what the advantage would be to buying a Regent over an Express. Anyone else know? Greg

• 6 months later...
I agree with paul I recently picked up a 1978 regent 4111 11hp with a 36" deck fo $50.00 it is in near perfect condition and runs great I also have a 1997 sovereign Garden tractor with 48" deck I bought new for $6800.00 great machine so I would look for a used one good luck