Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tri-Rib Tires???

mowerman1193

I remember when I was tire shopping for my MF12 that alot of you had posted pictures of your tractors to show me the rear lug tires.Some of the tractors had the tri ribs on them and I remember talk of them working real well in dirt...But how do they do in snow?Anyone know?Also member (Bunky) bought some for his 2010 and his doesn't seem to have the center rib raised higher than the others.I thought they would be more like the farm tractor style tire with the raised center rib.Or are some of the brands raised?

I don't know about snow but I like them in dirt and they make the tractor steer a lot easier. I just put a pair of tri ribs on my 2010 and have been playing with it. The 2010 had wide front tires from a b-12 on it and those tires were shot. I ordered a pair of 4.00x8 tri ribs from tucker tire and put the tires on a set of narrow rims I had and put them on the 2010. I was hauling big loads in my trailer up my crushed rock drive way and there wasn't a lot of weight on the front end but I didn't have any trouble steering the tractor, the ribs did a good job of grabbing in the loose crushed rock. I grew up on a farm and I like the way the tractor looks with the rib front tires. I may order another set for one of my other tractors.

I put a pair on my loader from Tucker Tire and am very pleased with them, though I haven't tried them in snow. So pleased, in fact, that I'm considering putting a pair on the Big Ten to replace the Armstrong lugs that are on it. Sometimes in a tight left turn, one of the lugs will catch on the draglink and lock the steering and that front wheel... if I adjust the draglink up enough to not catch, the draglink rubs the frame on the tractor. PITA... [img]http://64.49.221.202/pix/jimdalton/470514.jpg[/img] http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2317047706 These are two-ply tires with thin sidewalls but they seem to be pretty tough in the tread area, and the price is right...

you can buy tractor tires without a center rib raised. They are usley called a multy rib tire. Do most tire shops carry ribbed frount tires for lawn mowers I have never seen a set on a mower.

I put my tri ribs on my 2010.. I like them also.. The only thing I don't like is in the mud the ribs seem to fill up and then it makes them like slicks... But other then that they seem to work great so far... I did see a set of tri ribs with the raised center rib at portland....

Well seems like the raised center would help with traction better.I also like the looks of them.Just not sure I want to buy a set if I have to change them around for the winter snow.

I wonder if the tri ribs cut sod in turns if you have them on a tractor you mow with. I know tri ribs on big tractors sure cut up the lawn if you turn them, but the have a lot more weight. Maybe Turfsaver treads are named such for a reason. Jeff Snyder

Jeff,I had not thought of that...any one comment on that?It would give a new meaning to lawn striping if it did cut up the sod,LOL Bunky,I thought about that too...you would think that out of 7 tractors I should be able to use just one for the snow and have the rib tires on just a gardening tractor and turf treads one the lawn mowing tractor and........well you get the picture,LOL

Im sure they will tear the sod up when ya turn like Jeff said that when ya mow hay and turn real sharp ya tear up hay ground. Im never worried about my yard I just want tracton and turning power when I get in dirt. What does a set like that set a man back for price.

Neil,If I remember right they run about $40+shipping from Tucker tire.I don't remember the shipping cost ,it wasnt much though.I think he give free tubes with them as well

Mine work great in snow. Only problem I had was side draft when I had the snowblade angled. Front wheel weights cured that problem. With the weights on, it will tear up the sod. Without the weights, there has been no problem. Pat