Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hail to Sears - Allen Screw is out !!

Tuffy

I am having a dickens of a time with an allen screw on the clutch spring tension bracket on my AC 620. It is so tight that I have broken two allen wrenches - snapped off. Fortunately they did not break off in the shaft of the allen screw. I have tapped it with a hammer - no improvement. I was thinking of heating the collar that the allen screw is screwed into. Thoughts? Ideas? Steve

Heating the collar may work. I have also had to drill set screws out in the past with a carbide drill bit. Ray

There is a product called 'Mouse MIlk' that works very very well on locked threads. I am a Pipefitter and we use with great success at work. I just put some on the lugs of my sons car after he had broken off a threaded stud trying to get them off. I put it on went back several hours later and they all came off. It can be bought on the net by doing a search under Mouse Milk, if I remember right. Bob Hollis Kokom IN

Try usein an allen head socket on a nut driver tapping on the driver as you try to turn it. Or a impact driver with an allen head socket.

MY TWO CENTS: You could also try this: Spray with WD40 and tap on the screw, and spray again. Let sit a while and repeat three or four times, and usually it will come out. Old trick my Uncle the plumber taught me for removing bolts on furnace coils.;)

I have found brake fluid to be one best penetrating oils, but don't get it any paint,it's also a good paint stripper.

My advice would to be try some PB Blaster spray, some heat, and a new allen wrench. After that, invest in a good set of Easy-Outs, and reheat, respray, thats your best bet then. Terry PB Blaster is available around here at Napa stores. Hands down the best penetrating spray I've ever had. period.

http://www.mousemilk.com/order.html I would prolly try this mouse milk . Then a left hand fluted drill bit if the milk fails.

If you have to drill it out a simple concrete drill will drill it out quite well.If you can get a puller on the part pull it off and drill it out later.Might burr up the shaft a little but sometimes that is the only way some times

Did you get it out Tuffy? One very good way to do it also is to heat up that collar and apply so parafin wax to the bolt itself. With the collar expanded from the heat, the parafin wax will seap into the threads and may free it up. HTH, Chad

Hooray! I did get it out. Here is the actions I took: 1. Ordered the Mouse Milk - will have on hand for next stuck bolt/stud/allen screw. 2. Bought two new allen wrenches from hardware store. 3. Tapped on it - several times, wait a few hours, tap again 4. WD-40 - applied, let it soak, tapped, applied, let it soak, tapped ... 5. Applied heat, Tried again - broke both wrenches. 6. Went to Sears - salesman sold me a new allen wrench; said if I broke this one he'd give me two more free. Suggested a cresent wrench on the allen wrench. 7. Hail to Sears !! With the extra leverage the allen screw broke loose. It sounded like I broke another wrench but it was the screw giving way to physics and an outstanding quality tool from Sears Roebuck !! Steve

Hmmmmm. Sears Tools sells good ones? I knew a guy who went thru allen wrenches like some folks go thru socks. He decided to buy Swiss sets and they did not break or round off. I just dont know if he was careful because of the lead time needed to get a new one should he break it. or if the price made him be a little less pushy on the tool? There is the possibility that the Swiss allen wrenches are better than standard tools sets.?

As far as I am concerned Sears continues to make quality tools. Their guarantee is outstanding and there area never any questions asked. And even better, you don't need to exercise the guarantee !! Steve