Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
JBLACK

7010 still not running

JBLACK
Well, after new switch, new solenoid, new amp meter checking the circut breaker.STILL NO JUICE TO STARTER!I guess I will have to see if I can order a new harness and start from there, the harness on the tractor has all the safety plugs cut and spliced to bypass them.That does not bother me but, I think it may be part of the problem.I did find a wire on the wrong side of solenoid from circut breaker now when switch is turned on the optional light in amp gauge comes on so I know I have current that far at least. Also on one of the wiring diagrams it shows a 5 amp fuse I have yet to find one.Any imput would be a help. new battery, when starter is jumped from battery it spins but no spark when switch is on.thanx JBlack[V]?

BLT
With a small jumper wire, one end on the battery side of solenoid and tap the small terminal on the solenoid, I assume you have a three terminal solenoid, and the starter motor should turn over. If the motor turns over your problem is further back in the harness. Then check your neutral switches to make sure they are aligned, you'll need an ohmmeter for that. What's your product number of the tractor?

JBLACK
The mfg. 1690333 as far as I can tell all the safety sensor plugs have been cut off and the wires twisted together and taped to bypass the safetey switch my new solenoid has 4 posts 2large and 2small on front dealer said it should not matter just hook blue wire to either one of the small posts. Is that correct?

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by JBLACK
The mfg. 1690333 as far as I can tell all the safety sensor plugs have been cut off and the wires twisted together and taped to bypass the safetey switch my new solenoid has 4 posts 2large and 2small on front dealer said it should not matter just hook blue wire to either one of the small posts. Is that correct?
I don't think so. You need to run a ground from the spare small terminal. Your old style was a case gounded soloenoid and you new one is an isulated case requiring a ground wire. A wire from that terminal to the mounting bolt where you have your solenoid bolted down to should suffice. You can try that also using a jumper wire before making a permanent connection.

JBLACK
I tried jumping the starter as you suggested and it did turn the starter over. do I still have to ground the other terminal on the solenoid? and I guess that means I have to check the harness where the interlocks are bypassed and look for a wire off? Thank you for youre help. these "newer"tractors are a bit more intricate than my 101s Thanks to every one who has offered their advice.

BLT
Based on what you have done, you should be OK with solenoid as it is. You should download operators manual from the simplicity web site. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php Just type in your tractor number. Shows a good wiring diagram.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by JBLACK
... my new solenoid has 4 posts 2large and 2small on front dealer said it should not matter just hook blue wire to either one of the small posts. Is that correct?
Not necessarily ....... the dealer may be wrong.
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
... You need to run a ground from the spare small terminal. Your old style was a case gounded soloenoid and you new one is an isulated case requiring a ground wire. A wire from that terminal to the mounting bolt where you have your solenoid bolted down to should suffice....
Grounding one of the small terminals ONLY applies if it's NOT a case grounded solenoid. Automotive (Ford) solenoids ARE case grounded, but the second small terminal is used to supply 12 volts to the ignition while starting. If you ground that type terminal, you will burn out the solenoid quickly.

BLT
If you purchased a 1685290 solenoid, then both of the small terminals are the same, no grounding wire is required. You blue wire to one or the other terminal is OK. I just replaced one on my Sunstar and both of those terminals are common. I checked it with an ohmeter.