Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Muffler Stacks

johnb110

Alright boy's time for a challenge. Who's got the best idea out there for a good quiet exhaust retrofit for our machines? I need to do a refit on all 3 of my girls a B110 , Sovereign and a Landlord so I guess it's time to maybe look at something other than the O.E.M. mufflers. John

hi depend how loud u like it. i took a 2" chrome pipe and welded a piece of pipe to it and put a piece of pipe out from the motor and put a elbow on it and put the stack on it .Tony

Well if you do a stack type it would be wise to brace it to something just in case you have some low branches or get it caught onto something.I have heard of people doing this and not bracing them and they broke the pipe right out of the engine block.

hi,we have done this and it has been on for about three and a half years now with no problem Tony

True exhuast silencing has to be sized and what type of noise level you are looking for in DBA. If sized properly, you can reduce the exhaust noise level below the mechanical noise level produced by a paticular engine. For instance, if I wanted to blank out all of exhaust noise on my 3112 tractor to a whooshing sound, which is barley audible, I would need a silencer that measures about 7" in diameter and about 22" long and weighs in the neighborhood of ten pounds because of all the baffling that is required to reduce exhaust explosions produced to that whoosh. Engine and tractor builders therefore look for a happy medium of sound pressure levels, so your muffler doesn't look so ominus.

I got this stack muffler on e-Bay, but was not satisfied with how quiet it was so this is what I did. I took some perforated plate with small holes(1/8" I think) and cut it into narrow strips so it would fit into the pipe. I folded it back and forth in an accordion fold, then pressed the folds sort of flat. I then ground the corners off so the flat folded piece was rounded, to fit the round pipe. I then unfolded it a little and put pieces of it into the pipe coming out of the block, the elbow, and into the muffler itself. It toned things down a bit without restricting exhaust flow. Not silent by any means, but better than a stock muffler by far.

Try a Harley-Davidson shop dealership. Harleys come with quiet mufflers from the factory. Since people usually want a Harley to sound like a "Harley", the dealers will most often replace the original muffler with a "Harley sounding" loud muffler. They usually are willing to sell them pretty cheap seeing there is not much of a market for them.

I tried an aftermarket "shorty" muffler for a Harley and it was louder than stock -- sounded good, but far too noisy to listen to at full throttle while mowing....

I put a stack with a raincap on my B-112 last summer...sounds kind of like an old Johnny-popper now, which I kinda like, plus it puts the exhaust up and away from the operator. Find an IH/Case dealer and ask for an IH Cub (not cub cadet) stack. Fits on a piece of 1" pipe OK. The stack was about fifteen or sixteen bucks, the raincap another four or five. If going this route be sure to get the smallest size raincap. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/stumpy/B-112.JPG[/img]

John, I installed one of the tapered motorcycle mufflers on my 61 Wards with 14Hp Kohler. At this time it has no baffles at all, and is not much louder than stock. It actually has a smoother, more pleasing sound. The tapered section expands the pulsation waves then they reflect off the end section and break up most of the loud pops. If the baffles are installed, it is quieter than stock. Longer pipes also help deaden part of the popping sound.

Thanks a lot guy's , some great ideas coming in, so far for ease( I have very l9imited time to play with my machines now) of job/cost and looks I think I'm leaning towards your idea Stumpy. How is the noise level compared to an OEM muffler Stump. Keep the ideas coming girls and boys this is great! Off topic I'm one of Kents original members but I've been away from the Forum for awhile, I've forgotten how much I enjoyed being on the Forum and playing with my beasts, hope I can find more time to become involved again. Kent, the new format looks great but I seem to be having problems with the search feature. I posted this knowing therre's lots of info archived but I couldn't locate it any tips searching would be appreciated also. John

John, To search the archives, you must use the form that's off the main menu under Discussions >> Search the Forums. Make sure you click to select the check box for Archived Posts. The little "Quick Search" box at the top only searches the most current topics.

If you want a really quiet exhaust try fabricating a golf cart muffler to fit they are nearly silent but usually large.

John the stack I'm planning on useing on my 3012 and B-10 is from Tractor Supply, p/n IH-1. I think it's the one Bob(Stumpy) mentioned. The clapper cap is sized for 1" to 1 1/2" Larry

John and Larry, Yup....the part number in a generic sense is "IH-1." Can be found at a number of outfits...I just went direct to IH/Case. The exhaust end can be trimmed with a hacksaw a bit easy enough if the height is bothersome...been thinking about it but haven't done so as of yet. It's not what I would call super-quiet, but extra baffles would be mighty easy to add. It does have a rumbling johnny-popper sound that I like a whole lot better than the usual Briggs/Kohler/etc. sound, plus you get the tink-tink-tink of the rain cap at low idle. All for a fairly cheap price...just refrain from the accidental "grab-reflex" when messing about a recently-run tractor. My step-brother just naturally reached out and grabbed the stack on the B-112 today...he's not a farm boy...doubt he will do that agan.

By the way, has anyone built a heat shield for their mufflers yet? I've had the misfortune to burn myself once fairly bad (1" cut on hand, no scare but it hurt!) and mildly a second time. I want to avoid a third time, you'd think I would never do it again! I'm thinking of some building some type of wire frame. Please advise if anyone has seen or designed any better ideas.

I acquired a Harley stock muffler a while ago. Now that the weather is nice I'm planning on putting it on a k341. The muffler and pipe parts weigh about nine pounds (bath scales ) Brackets are the only item yet to go. Not sure how I'll do the support. Who has been there, done that?

You will notice the brace on mine. The muffler had a bolt attached from the motorcycle, and the other end is bolted to the engine. The brace is basically to prevent rotation. The pipe will support the weight. [img]/club2/attach/HubbardRA/P000268.jpg[/img]

BLT: If you have the time, Might you consider developing your suggestions into a workable design for the sort of confines imposed by the available space within the hood of the lawnmower? There are a couple of 7000 series landlords here, which would greatly appretiate further thought and initial design work for some sound reducing tinkerings.

quote:
Originally posted by WiscTom
BLT: If you have the time, Might you consider developing your suggestions into a workable design for the sort of confines imposed by the available space within the hood of the lawnmower? There are a couple of 7000 series landlords here, which would greatly appretiate further thought and initial design work for some sound reducing tinkerings.
Tom, I am not a design type guy. Also you need an engine application book that will give you the maximum exhaust temperature, air flow in CFM and allowable back pressure for the proper sizing. For what I do at work I let Nelson Corp at Stoughton WI do the design work and come up with the proper silencer. They do have some small ones for the L & G market, but I could never figure out a way to mount one. By the way, they make a lot of the mufflers for air cooled engine and garden tractor manufacturers. Thats the good part and the bad part is those same people own the tooling rights for obivious reasons.

BLT, Drat. Your description of muffler sizing lead me to hope that you might have far more insight into the technical side of that sort of design work than other sources I have encountered. If that were so, some metal tinkering here could have become quite interesting. Thanks just the same.

Hey, Go to tractor supply and get an AC-1 Muffler and it makes a great muffler. It is light weight and the inlet size is perfect for mounting. Has made my B-12 sound like an old 4 cylinder, but quiet. My wife has even stopped complaining that I "stink" after mowing.

DaleC, Thanks, I will give that scheme a good look seek. Did the AC-1 fit inside the hood horizontally for you?

• 2 weeks later...
John, I mounted mine with 1" pipe thread nipples and an elbow from the local hardware store. The muffler is tall as it get the exhaust above my head and the smell out of my face! Be sure to use locks that are also available from the local hardware store in the conduit section. This will keep the theads from wearing out in the block of your motor. I borrowed a 1" pipe thread tap to chase the threads on the motor to clean them. The muffler from tractor supply is a Stanley brand and is very light weight. AC1 is the part #. The other AC mufflers are heavier than the AC1. I was able to turn the muffler up close to the hood. The extended lenght of the inlet pipe got the heat away from the other components of the tractor you do not want hot. I may live to regret it, but I didnot feel the weight was great enough to warrent a bracket or brace. I will take some pictures and post them to you and on the sight. Dale