Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Les

Kohler not charging

Brent_Baumer
If it has the 3 lead rectifier/regulator the outer two leads are the AC power from the flywheel alternator. The manual says if that is working you should read greater than 28 volts AC across them. If it is not the alternator is not working. If it is the regulator is not working. The 3 lead is 10 amp. There are 15 and 30 amp versions too. Which do you have? Brent

Les
Thanks Brent. It is a 15 AMP When I put that engine in that tractor 4 or 5 years ago, I remember one of the leads on that regulator broke and I connected it using an alligator clip, which now looks pretty rusty, could that be the problem? An air-cooled diesel engine swap is looking better and better all the time. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Les/P1010003.JPG[/img]

EDS
I just repaired a 15 Amp regulator (REPCO FG-4175). The iron terminals had rusted away. One thing I noticed is that the " + " terminal is physically and electrically connected to the "AC " terminal immediately above it. I abandoned the connector and soldered two wires on the stubs of the terminals accessable at the bottom , the printed circuit board. Looking from the bottom, the wire on the right goes to one AC input. The wire on the left goes to both the second AC input and the battery. The unit must be mounted to pick up the ground connection. I also resoldered the resistor next to the terminal on the right. It works again. Ed Stoller