Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear Tires

vfd702

The rear tires on my Sovreign are shot. Sidewalls are rotted and won't hold air. What are people using for replacements? Size is 23 10.5-12. Who have you had luck with buying them? I am looking for turf type tires only. Thanks ken

Pretty sure you can get them at most farm supply stores like TSC, Orscheln etc. Heck, I think Wal-Mart even has them. Tractor and engine shows usually have someone selling, Ebay and other online sources like tucker and miller. Brent

I have always had good luck with tucker tire store on ebay,good prices and very fast shipping.

Here's a good spot to start, I have used Cedar Rapids Tire a few times. Had them within 5 days. [url]http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/results.asp?tcat=LG&beadsize=23-10.50-12[/url]

I have been Talking to a place called Tire net they are the cheapest so Far I have found on the Bar treads, So I would think they are reasonable on the Turf tires, and shipping isn't that much either..... http://www.tirenet.com

Hey Doty, You didn't happen to have any trouble getting that tire off of the rim did you???[:0]:D:D:D

Picked up a rear tire at Easter Tire in Findlay the other day. Carlisle 23 10.5-12 4 ply Turf saver for $48.93 = tax for $51.62. Took it to our farm shop that night to install it. Of course the old casing won't come off. I got one side broken down with our changers hand breaker. The air breaker wouldn't budge the bottom side. I had to cut the tread with a sawzall and chisel the steel cords to get that casing off. The tire had about a pint of RUSTY water in it.The rim was a mess. Good old steel brush on the grinder and a coat of paint and it looks ok now. I also installed a metal stem on the rim. I used a JD one that we use on our 7000 series MaxEmerge planters. JD pn AN132749. Makes a real nice looking deal. Got the new casing on and ATTEMPTED to inflate it. HAH ! That bugger defies popping the beads out. I have tried all sorts of ropes and come alongs to get it to seal. Will have to take it to our local tires shop tomorrow and grovel in there to see if they will do it for me. So Mike did I have any trouble????? Heck No !!! I always scream and kick things.....LOL ken

If you get desperate and want to live dangerously -- I DO NOT encourage you to do so -- you could always try the trick of spraying a tiny bit of hairspray, WD-40, or starting fluid inside the tire, then lighting it off.... It'll explode and pop the tire out onto the beads. Seen this done many times on truck and tractor tires (worked in a general-purpose, small-town gas station during college), but I've always been too chicken to try it myself... :D At least they used a cage for the truck tires, but they didn't have a cage big enough for the tractor tires....

Kent, I had a "Drive By" cell phone call from MDB tonite suggesting almost the same thing. He was watching me in my shop while he was No Tilling soybeans just across the field. Me being a Vol Firefighter...would absolutly die of embarssement if something POOFED and the boys in the Red Trucks had to come out. hahaahah ken

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Put a chain around it and a spurt of either in it stand back and throw a match boom it's on
That's what I suggested that he try, of course I was far enough away to be safe....:D

Ken I'm on Fox street just off Trenton in Findlay turn beside Taco Bell 2-1/2 blocks glad to help if I can 1219 1/2 green house Jon

A safer, but less fun, way of inflating those stubborn tires is by using a tube. That works every time. Also less apt to lose air later. Brent

About 4 months ago harbor freight hand a manual tire changer on sale about 60.00 with shipping if I remember correctly. Made for golf carts garden tractor tires smaller tires It has worked well and may still be on sale just my 2cents. JBlack

Oh by the way , the trick with the wd, either, hair spray I stopped doing that after I watched a friend who has a mobile repair business for big trucks had both his arms broke when the split rim came apart it even broke the safety chain!!

That is why you need a cage with split rims or double and triple chain them and make sure the split rims are the new style not the old ones.

try spreading some grease around the bead, between the tire and the rim, then hit er with the air

You're only talking about 2 quick shots of ether to seat the bead on those tires.I did it on my tire. Use a page from the newspaper,ball it up tight and light it up.You can be about 10ft away and the paper will hit its mark.I use cooking oil to lube the bead on tubeless tires,I've heard petroleum products are'nt good for the tire. good luck!

I took the tire into one of our local car repair shops today. He greased it with some rim sealer and popped it on in about 3 seconds. Then he laughed and made a remark about "You can't always use a pipe wrench on everything you know" LOL Thanks to all who replied. That tire SURE LOOKS NICE . ken

Nearly every tire shop that I know of uses liquid soap as do I on my hand installs. The soap is very slick when wet, but somewhat of a sealer when dry. I would not use grease unless it is silicone, because many greases can cause rubber to deteriorate. Silicone, however, is used to protect rubber and keep it soft and pliable. I have also used starting fluid with "Ether" to seat beads. Use only a 1 to 2 second shot in a small tire, stand back and throw a lit match at the gap between tire and rim. You will hear a "ping" and the beads will be seated. It seats from the shock wave produced by the rapid combustion. There will only be 2 to 3 psi in the tire after using this method. Just don't over do it. If you don't put in enough, it will not light. Start with small squirts and work up to the point of combustion, that way you will not blow yourself up. I've done it many times and it still scares me-but it works.

I have seen times when the air blast inflate on my tire machine and an inflation collar were not enough to get the stiff sidewalls on some tires to start to seat on the beads. the only other option is either. you only need a small shot. Just enough to spread the sidewalls and get them to seal enough to hold air so you can Finnish inflating them.

If I ever have the opportunity to work with any of you pyro's remind me to leave the shop when you reach for any type of flammable sprays. Still think tubes are the way to go. Brent