Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
MTklein

How does it lift?

MTklein
Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day! Well after spending hours on this great forum and pouring over my newly aquired 3416H Sim. I have an announcement to make...I am officially a old AC/Sim. affectionado!! I can not wait to start rebuilding mine (complete with paint and rubber), two days in a row I couldnt buy stuff.. man the guy I met at the local Sim. dealer is either gonna get sick of me or adopt me!! oh yeah...my wife is not to thrilled about my new hobby, she says either the tractor goes or she goes.....man... Im gonna miss her. Seriously next round of questions begins: Im looking at the rear end and cant see how any implement can lift up and down, I see plenty of iron and holes, but say you hook up a tiller, how do you raise it, manually? electrically? hydro? also do you use the same PTO handle and clutch pulleys to drive it as do the mower deck ones? I guess I need to browse at the store tommorrow and ask and peek, I think I will get alot of questions answered if I can just look at some. Lots more questions but will post new threads each time Thanks, By the way I named her Florence,... Flossy for short, my grandmothers name. She was raised on a farm and had AC tractors, I miss those good old stories... will I get banned cause I named a tractor? haha

thedaddycat
The 3400 and later tractors use the cone clutch for the center and rear PTO and a cable for the rear lift. Earlier tractors use the belt-and-idler center PTO, have a seperate rear PTO, and use a lift rod. You can route your cable so that the rear will raise at the same time as the front or route it so that the front and rear are counter-balanced. For a tiller you will not need a sleeve hitch but you will need the rear lift group. This pic shows the rear lift group and a sleeve hitch attached to part of my 3310 when I had it apart. To the right is a home made "Skinny Sleeve" that is for towed implements that have a narrow throat, like a fertilizer spreader or cart. Since I have some uneven ground, I want more vertical pivot between tractor and implement than just pinning it to the tractor allows. The regular sleeve hitch came with my moldboard plow, but also works with the Brinley box scraper I have. You can see where it pins to the bottom of the tractor, like the tiller and many other rear implements would. The grab hook is attached to a length of 1" bar stock that slides into the rear lift and is pinned there. I have a length of chain on the plow and use this hook to raise the plow. This is where the upper part of the tiller would also go. As far as how you lift your implements, that depends on what you have on your tractor. The 3310 V has an electric lift, most of my others have manual lifts, and I have a hydraulic lift for my 2012 project.

Note that the left side of the rear lift uses a stepped collar to mount to the tractor. That ring around the rear lift shaft is actually the smaller part of the collar while the larger part is inboard. I think that this is to provide more weight bearing area on the side the rod or cable attaches to, but that's just a guess onmy part.