Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Opinions/ Info on my latest unbelieveable windfall

pullcrazy

I just received, literally, from my own back yard a 6216 with 48" deck from my neighbor-for FREE!!! He said he saw that I was into simplicitys and if I mowed his lawn a couple times that I could have This simplicity that he had in his garage for a couple years.(how could I refuse?):pIt is a tractomatic and so far has only required a battery and it started right up! It has a replacement 16hp twinII briggs that seems to run fine.I do have some questions if some of you would be so kind as to help me out- 1) when I let the clutch out, the pedal returns and clutch engages very slowly- do I need to free up the tractomatic? 2) The headlights don't work- bulbs are o.k.,switch is o.k., but no power to switch, no power to voltmeter, no power out of the rectifier. I have voltage (A/C) out of alternator (with volt/ohmmeter) Is my rectifier bad? Thank all of you in advance for your help, and HAPPY TRACTORING!!!^

Sorry i can't help with your questions. But, it sure is nice to know there are GOOD neighbors around!! Have fun. You got a good one to work with! Dan

Welcome aboard Pullcrazy. Standard setup on the 6216 is for the headlights to run on a second AC circuit from the alternator. The replacement engine may not have that wiring. The wiring coming out from the alternator will have one wire with a diode in line, and a second without that for the light circuit. The tractormatic drive pully (the big double pully on the pivoting arm) should be cleaned of all rust and the center hub should be lubed with dry graphite lock fluid or something simmilar then wipe the pully faces to remove any graphite. Slow engagment and spped change are usually due to rust on the pully faces or on that hub. I have a 6216 and beat the heck out of it and it comes back for more. Happy tractoring right back at ya.